Super Awesome Catalog Idea (And a bonus idea)

Started by Transfotaku, December 07, 2008, 08:33:09 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Transfotaku

December 07, 2008, 08:33:09 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Remember those old catalogs that came in the toy boxes back in the day? That had all the guys for that year, with checkmarks and all?

We should totally do that, but, the schmax way.

Grab the old catalog scans, or take pics of the toys in new style. Slap 'em up, one for every year (well, and each faction, for the larger years).

But wait, we can do better! This'll take someone w/flash experience I'm sure, or something, but...have each person have their own personal catalog, in their user area. And the toys that they DO have, get 'marked off'. Grey them out, have them circled, boxed, something, somehow differentiating the ones owned from the ones not yet owned.

Tell me that wouldn't be a cool thing to show around, huh? People's personal websites could even have a page for just "My schmax collection catalog style!" or something.

As to the bonus idea, something akin to it. I've said before about librarything.com, and how they have some great ideas that can be implemented here. But one I really like that they have is a 'cover view' look. You input what books you have, and if you choose 'cover view', it shows them all (maybe 100 per page or some other limit), by their covers. We can do something like that here. Have a 'package view' to the 'your collection' area that's slightly different than what we got now. Basically instead of going down in a line, have rows and columns, and smaller package pics perhaps, so it looks like the toys are sitting on a shelf, y'know? Basically, same thing we got now, just a different look style, and less information. Just so we can 'ooooh' and 'ahhhh' at our own collections nicer.
Though, being able to share that view w/others might be cool too.

shmax

December 08, 2008, 01:02:03 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Transfotaku"
Remember those old catalogs that came in the toy boxes back in the day? That had all the guys for that year, with checkmarks and all?

We should totally do that, but, the schmax way.

Grab the old catalog scans, or take pics of the toys in new style. Slap 'em up, one for every year (well, and each faction, for the larger years).
I'm liking the energy, and thrilled beyond belief to finally have someone other than me posting in the forums, but I'm afraid I just don't follow you. What exactly are you suggesting? Granted, we want pics of as many toys as possible. And you can already view them year by year if you like by using the Advanced search form, or even by doing a basic search for the year you have in mind. I'm not sure how catalog scans would fit into the equation...

But wait, we can do better! This'll take someone w/flash experience I'm sure, or something, but...have each person have their own personal catalog, in their user area. And the toys that they DO have, get 'marked off'. Grey them out, have them circled, boxed, something, somehow differentiating the ones owned from the ones not yet owned.
Well, that's what the checkmarks are for. They're not all that flashy, and they'll be going away soon when the new collection system goes live, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, the functionality you're describing is already there.

Tell me that wouldn't be a cool thing to show around, huh? People's personal websites could even have a page for just "My schmax collection catalog style!" or something.
They can already share links to their collection pages, and if they want to embed something, there's the Flash-sig thing (which will be evolving once the new collection system goes live).

As to the bonus idea, something akin to it. I've said before about librarything.com, and how they have some great ideas that can be implemented here. But one I really like that they have is a 'cover view' look. You input what books you have, and if you choose 'cover view', it shows them all (maybe 100 per page or some other limit), by their covers. We can do something like that here. Have a 'package view' to the 'your collection' area that's slightly different than what we got now. Basically instead of going down in a line, have rows and columns, and smaller package pics perhaps, so it looks like the toys are sitting on a shelf, y'know? Basically, same thing we got now, just a different look style, and less information. Just so we can 'ooooh' and 'ahhhh' at our own collections nicer.
Though, being able to share that view w/others might be cool too.
That's a little more reasonable, and I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, but once again, I think it will have to wait for the new collection system (so we'll be able to show MISB vs. loose pics).

Keep those ideas coming! And if you really want to help the site, be sure to include the occasional link when you're posting in other forums! Thanks again...

Max

Chaotic Descent

December 08, 2008, 05:18:06 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
I'm liking the energy, and thrilled beyond belief to finally have someone other than me posting in the forums, but I'm afraid I just don't follow you. What exactly are you suggesting? Granted, we want pics of as many toys as possible. And you can already view them year by year if you like by using the Advanced search form, or even by doing a basic search for the year you have in mind. I'm not sure how catalog scans would fit into the equation...

Well, that's what the checkmarks are for. They're not all that flashy, and they'll be going away soon when the new collection system goes live, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, the functionality you're describing is already there.

You input what books you have, and if you choose 'cover view', it shows them all (maybe 100 per page or some other limit), by their covers. We can do something like that here. Have a 'package view' to the 'your collection' area that's slightly different than what we got now. Basically instead of going down in a line, have rows and columns, and smaller package pics perhaps, so it looks like the toys are sitting on a shelf, y'know? Basically, same thing we got now, just a different look style, and less information.
That's a little more reasonable, and I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, but once again, I think it will have to wait for the new collection system (so we'll be able to show MISB vs. loose pics).

Keep those ideas coming! And if you really want to help the site, be sure to include the occasional link when you're posting in other forums! Thanks again...

Max
... how do you show people your wanted figures? Is there something besides the Flash sig? That info should be stickied.
Oh, the info seems to be on the sig page. It would be nice if there was a FAQ page that mentioned that, or if info is spread out, for it to maybe be in the title.
I didn't realize the number in the URL was my username. So that means it's not just displaying my collection because I'm the one that's logged on? That URL works for everyone?

I think basically both his ideas are similar. He wants to be able to display the lists of figures differently.
One is pictures of loose figures in all it's modes, together with every other figure from that year, all Autobots on one page, all Decepticons on another.
The other is the same thing except packaged pictures.
In his case he differentiated the two ideas by making a person's collection appear differently on the two. On the catalog version, there's a more obvious graphical effect over the image, while on the [cover/package] view, it just shows the ones you have. I'm sure once something like these were implemented, you could display them any way you wanted. For keeping track of collections: large graphical overlays, small checkboxes in the corner, or complete omission of the image. all implemented on a list like the current one with both pictures and text, pictures of loose figures, pictures of boxed figures, or pictures of figures loose or boxed depending on whether yours are loose or boxed together on the same page.

Personally, I think many methods of displaying is good. I've always wanted what I showed you in another thread, although I've also wanted one similar to his catalog idea so that I could see ALL the figures exactly the way they look. That sort of thing would be really useful for going to a convention when you're looking for tons of guys or accessories you're not familiar with. (for me, I have a hard time remembering what Micromasters I do or don't have. a name on a list will not help me.)

Would it be possible to let the method that they're displayed be scripted by the users? Perhaps within some kind of limit on bandwidth and seek-time (or whatever database term it is) so that people couldn't load 1,000 full-size images or 1,000 entries.
Or at least let users script it but have them reviewed? I imagine there are a lot of possibilities, and you only have so much time. I think a project like this needs wiki-like support. (of course, whether you have the userbase for that support is another thing... -_-; )

Transfotaku

December 08, 2008, 08:12:19 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Chaotic has my intent yeah. Just different display options. The checkmarks can sometimes be hard to notice. A catalog style makes things easier to see. You need the ones that aren't greyed out (or boxed or circled or X'ed out, whatever the graphics are). WIth the shelf/cover view, you see what you got in a nice display.

My intent for them also wouldn't just be for the user in question. My intent would be to have them share-able. Cool graphics to slap onto one's own personal website, shared on forums, and so on. The sig is a nice way to share what you got, but it's all text and numbers. Being able to share nice looking pictures? That makes a person's collection somehow more -real- y'know?

I dunno how to implement the idea however. I just know I think it'd be a great one, if it's somehow possible.

shmax

December 09, 2008, 04:25:23 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Chaotic Descent"
... how do you show people your wanted figures? Is there something besides the Flash sig? That info should be stickied.
Oh, the info seems to be on the sig page. It would be nice if there was a FAQ page that mentioned that, or if info is spread out, for it to maybe be in the title.
I didn't realize the number in the URL was my username. So that means it's not just displaying my collection because I'm the one that's logged on? That URL works for everyone?
What URL? You mean the wishlist? Yes, you can just paste the URL for your "View Wishlist" page and other folks can check it out.

I think basically both his ideas are similar. He wants to be able to display the lists of figures differently.
One is pictures of loose figures in all it's modes, together with every other figure from that year, all Autobots on one page, all Decepticons on another.
I still don't get it. You can already do exactly what you're describing. Here's, say, all autobots from 1985:
http://www.shmax.com/search/196?searchT ... arch&tab=1

In his case he differentiated the two ideas by making a person's collection appear differently on the two. On the catalog version, there's a more obvious graphical effect over the image, while on the [cover/package] view, it just shows the ones you have.
Are you talking about a gallery view? I whipped something up just to see if it's what you're talking about. Here, for example, is my collection in "gallery view":

http://www.shmax.com/View_Collection/1/ ... esults=100

I'm sure once something like these were implemented, you could display them any way you wanted. For keeping track of collections: large graphical overlays, small checkboxes in the corner, or complete omission of the image. all implemented on a list like the current one with both pictures and text, pictures of loose figures, pictures of boxed figures, or pictures of figures loose or boxed depending on whether yours are loose or boxed together on the same page.
I actually already have this working--you guys will see it once I finally make the new collection system available to the public.

I've also wanted one similar to his catalog idea so that I could see ALL the figures exactly the way they look. That sort of thing would be really useful for going to a convention when you're looking for tons of guys or accessories you're not familiar with. (for me, I have a hard time remembering what Micromasters I do or don't have. a name on a list will not help me.)
If your printer can stand the punishment, then have at it!

Would it be possible to let the method that they're displayed be scripted by the users? Perhaps within some kind of limit on bandwidth and seek-time (or whatever database term it is) so that people couldn't load 1,000 full-size images or 1,000 entries.
Or at least let users script it but have them reviewed? I imagine there are a lot of possibilities, and you only have so much time. I think a project like this needs wiki-like support. (of course, whether you have the userbase for that support is another thing... -_-; )
We've already touched on this in another thread. I don't think you'll find too many sites that let their users upload and run their own scripts--the complexity and security risks just aren't worth it. A more reasonable idea might be to allow some kind of templating system, so that users can sort of "skin" their collection page to look the way they want. Or, we can just do the REST interface thing, where you can write your own code on your own host and make requests for data from my site, get XML or JSON in return, and do whatever you want with it (use your own PHP, javascript, AJAX, whatever).

But this is all down the road. As you mention, the site doesn't really have much in the way of users or visitors, and in practical terms I would need more than one or two guys active on the site to justify the time and effort needed to make some of these high-concept ideas happen. My basic advice remains the same: hang in there and see what you think of the new collection system. Once that launches, I'll be eager for feedback and new ideas--and you guys have already given me plenty of food for thought--and the site will rapidly evolve around this major, central new feature.

In the meantime, I'd love it if you guys could do what you can to contribute photos and content for the site. And be sure to plug it whenever you can! Word of mouth is really my only means of advertising at the moment, and strangely, no one ever seems to mention the site or post links to it in other forums (tfu.info gets all the love).

Max

Chaotic Descent

December 10, 2008, 12:58:20 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
I still don't get it. You can already do exactly what you're describing. Here's, say, all autobots from 1985:
http://www.shmax.com/search/196?searchT ... arch&tab=1
Except that it's still laid out 1-dimensionally, unlike your next example...

In his case he differentiated the two ideas by making a person's collection appear differently on the two. On the catalog version, there's a more obvious graphical effect over the image, while on the [cover/package] view, it just shows the ones you have.
Are you talking about a gallery view? I whipped something up just to see if it's what you're talking about. Here, for example, is my collection in "gallery view":

http://www.shmax.com/View_Collection/1/ ... esults=100
Yeah, I suspect so. (it was his idea)

I'm sure once something like these were implemented, you could display them any way you wanted. For keeping track of collections: large graphical overlays, small checkboxes in the corner, or complete omission of the image. all implemented on a list like the current one with both pictures and text, pictures of loose figures, pictures of boxed figures, or pictures of figures loose or boxed depending on whether yours are loose or boxed together on the same page.
I actually already have this working--you guys will see it once I finally make the new collection system available to the public.
Well I didn't realize your system was so flexible that it could do all this so far. Congratulations. I'm impressed.

We've already touched on this in another thread. I don't think you'll find too many sites that let their users upload and run their own scripts--the complexity and security risks just aren't worth it. A more reasonable idea might be to allow some kind of templating system, so that users can sort of "skin" their collection page to look the way they want. Or, we can just do the REST interface thing, where you can write your own code on your own host and make requests for data from my site, get XML or JSON in return, and do whatever you want with it (use your own PHP, javascript, AJAX, whatever).

But this is all down the road. As you mention, the site doesn't really have much in the way of users or visitors, and in practical terms I would need more than one or two guys active on the site to justify the time and effort needed to make some of these high-concept ideas happen. My basic advice remains the same: hang in there and see what you think of the new collection system. Once that launches, I'll be eager for feedback and new ideas--and you guys have already given me plenty of food for thought--and the site will rapidly evolve around this major, central new feature.
It's just my understanding of terms that's lacking. I don't see much difference as long as the user gets to customize the way things are displayed.

In the meantime, I'd love it if you guys could do what you can to contribute photos and content for the site. And be sure to plug it whenever you can! Word of mouth is really my only means of advertising at the moment, and strangely, no one ever seems to mention the site or post links to it in other forums (tfu.info gets all the love).
Huh... I think I misunderstood your directions and got styrofoam sheets. I don't know what foam core is, but I see the instructions say "anything that's large, flat, smooth and white". So I wasted all that time for nothing, I guess...

shmax

December 10, 2008, 03:36:45 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Chaotic Descent"
Huh... I think I misunderstood your directions and got styrofoam sheets. I don't know what foam core is, but I see the instructions say "anything that's large, flat, smooth and white". So I wasted all that time for nothing, I guess...
Hmm? Have you been taking photos? What time have you wasted? And how did we get onto styrofoam vs. foam core in this thread? I may have missed something, my apologies. If it makes for a good photo, then of course you can use whatever you like, but I recommend something sturdy and rigid enough to clip lights to. I use something that I at first thought was foam core (foam core is just polystyrene sandwiched between two layers of thick paper), but I just took a close look at it, and it actually looks more like compressed styrofoam. Its key properties are that it's smooth, white, doesn't crumble, and is sturdy enough to tape together into a "booth" and clip lights to. Please experiment, and let us know what you discover!

Max

Go Up