"Price Paid" Returns!

Started by shmax, March 14, 2009, 12:56:15 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

March 14, 2009, 12:56:15 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Okay guys, you'll be noticing some changes to the collection system interface. First, the "Price Paid" widget has returned. I've reset all the numbers to "0". The previous values were mostly default numbers that were derived from each toy's original retail price, but I decided that it's better to just start with a blank and let you guys fill it in with real information. Second, the "Bought in" widget has been replaced with a little currency drop-down that is partnered with the "Price paid" widget. It should default to the currency of the country you live in, but if it doesn't, please set it correctly and let me know that something isn't working! Third, I've added a new widget for indicating the condition the toy was in when you bought it.

The idea is that if I know what condition the toy was in when you bought it, how much you spent, and when you bought it, I can use that information to fill in some of the gaps in the appraisal system. There are a lot of holes because sometimes there just aren't enough auctions to go around, and my automated auction sniffing system has to be very conservative to keep false positives to a minimum. But you guys are less likely to make mistakes than my fancy algorithms--I mean, you know exactly which toys you bought, and you know how much you spent. So please, do your best to fill that information in whenever possible. If everybody plays along, you'll eventually begin to see your appraisal values rise as the holes are filled in (though I have yet to write that portion of the code).

I've also added some nifty little pop-ups to the collection form with an explanation of each widget in case you get confused, like I did when I was writing it. One thing that might trip you up a bit are some of the inter-dependencies on the widgets. For example, you can't enter a "price paid" until you select a "Purchased Condition". Don't let it bother you, it's just one of my fussy little safeguards for ensuring accurate data.

Enjoy, and as always let me know right away as soon as you discover one of the many fun little bugs I merrily scatter throughout my code to keep you entertained.

Max

mikeyfuzz

March 14, 2009, 01:44:56 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Great to see it back.
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=372" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=372</a>

Go Up