"New" Toylines

Started by SoS, September 03, 2011, 12:28:46 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

engledogg

September 07, 2011, 01:46:15 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Yep...all that stuff is true.  Although, Beastformers and Battle Beasts are separate franchises - sure, same figures, but very different purposes.  

Of course, when all those categories were created, we only cared about Transformers.

But yes, it's going to be very necessary to somehow show that these "Transformer toys" have their origins in not-necessarily Transformers toylines, and be able to have the category displayed when viewing both the Transformers toyline and the other origin toyline.

Attacktix also comes to mind.  Marvel, TFs, and Star Wars.

Built to Rule - GIJoe, Transformers, and Tonka.

And, like you said, Titaniums - add Marvel and Battlestar Galactica to that list, as well.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

September 07, 2011, 02:03:27 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
If you're trying to make a grown man cry, then mission accomplished! I guess we need to make a clear distinction between "brand", and "general collecting category". As you've both pointed out, there will be crossovers all over the place beyond the actual "Transformers: Crossovers" brand. By my strict reasoning, I guess we're already breaking the rules with things like the Transformers-flavored  Choro-Q or Revol-Tech brand toys, which Transformers-collectors most definitely consider part of their collection. But I've come up with a solution: to let Spaceharfang figure it out!

And yes, Trip, it may take the form of some kind of "tagging".

engledogg

September 07, 2011, 02:09:27 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Thought of another one, Be@rbrick.  Just to rub a little more salt into the wound, haha.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

spaceharfang

September 07, 2011, 06:39:56 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Scrub the brand and burn it.

All hails field of interest!!!

Could be a solution to group different toylines by interest.  That would open a whole new lot of navigating possibilities.

Tripredacus

September 08, 2011, 12:54:07 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "spaceharfang"
Could be a solution to group different toylines by interest.  That would open a whole new lot of navigating possibilities.
Also sounds like a lot of headaches for the programmer!  :)

spaceharfang

September 09, 2011, 09:51:37 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Honestly, toylines that can be in multiple brands or toylines that can be in multiple field of interest, it is the same thing from a programming stand point.  

The real question is, does it make sense for the navigation?

shmax

September 09, 2011, 12:26:16 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Still speaking off the top of my head here, with no real research done, but it looks to me that we have two important pieces of information, organizationally speaking:

1. Domain (or General collecting category, or Area of interest). This is a loose designation, that can be applied to anything that a collector feels puts a particular item into his area of interest. The most obvious example is "Transformers", with other examples being "G.I.Joe", "Marvel", "Star Wars", "Thundercats", etc. (We might have more broad ones as well, like "action figures", "stamps", or "bobble-heads"). Brand does not matter. For example, Revol-Tech Convoy gets the "Transformers" domain, even though it is technically from the "Revol-Tech" brand.

Logically, any toy or item should be able to support multiple domains. Transformers: Crossovers Luke Skywalker would get "Transformers" and "Star Wars".

2. Brand. Not sure about this, but I believe that toys only ever need one brand. "Transformers: Crossovers", "Transformers: Cybertron", and "Dark of the Moon" are all brands. In our current model, the brand is usually what we think of as  "subline", and it's positioned in our category tree between the country node (which will be going away) and the class nodes ("deluxe", "leader", etc).

Maybe what we should do is sort of keep the "brand" in the category tree as it is now, but add this notion of "domain" to the mix, to be used as a filter.

Way back when I started on this (yes, I planned on expanding to other toylines from day one), I envisioned a series of tabs across the top of the site, with labels like "Transformers", "Star Wars", and "G.I.Joe", with the idea being that you click on any of them and sort of flavor your whole site experience towards that domain (you know how we have Transformers parts floating through the shmax logo in the header? How cool would it be if they turned into green guns and whatnot for G.I.Joe?).

Technically, it would be a filter behind the scenes, such that if you filter by "Transformers", only items tagged as such, and their resultant brands/sublines would show in the nav menu.

Am I on the right track, Spaceharfang?

spaceharfang

September 10, 2011, 01:24:46 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I agree with you.

Except for the country, I find it usefull in the tree navigation. But it really needs to be nothing more than a filter, allowing a sku , toyline to be in more than one country.

shmax

September 10, 2011, 01:27:32 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that we remove country from the tree navigation, necessarily, only that it will be removed from our category tree.

Tripredacus

September 10, 2011, 03:02:02 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
Way back when I started on this (yes, I planned on expanding to other toylines from day one), I envisioned a series of tabs across the top of the site, with labels like "Transformers", "Star Wars", and "G.I.Joe", with the idea being that you click on any of them and sort of flavor your whole site experience towards that domain (you know how we have Transformers parts floating through the shmax logo in the header? How cool would it be if they turned into green guns and whatnot for G.I.Joe?).
Here's an idea that you can play with, its something I've used in the past. For each page that is within a certain "section" you can specify a particular variable for it. This variable can (among other things) highlight a particular tab on the menu, and also you can totally control the logo up top. The current logo text is generic enough to allow this to work, but it may need some changes. In keeping with the "Transformers" theme, consider this.

The picture on the left would be set to a $var + header_left.jpg. The picture on the right, same thing. The background picture that moves behind the Shmax lettering, set it as $var + slideshow. Or something similar. This way, you wouldn't need to create different SWFs for each section, but (only need to work out how to get SWF to read PHP vars) it would automatically "know" which resources to load based on which "page" it was on.

I use a similar notion on my site to control which menu options are highlighted, based on what page you are on.

shmax

September 10, 2011, 03:15:49 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Thanks, Trip, but you could say that that's the least of our problems. The tricky part will be adapting our database schema, reconciling a domain filter with conventional tree navigation, and so on. It'll take time, but we'll get there.

Tripredacus

September 10, 2011, 03:18:59 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I know exactly what you mean. Part of the "problem" is Databases 101. Any book about making a database will tell you that you need to plan out EVERYTHING you intend to do ahead of time. Say if something needs to be added in the future, its going to be a hell of a lot of work! In business, usually you just hire a DB guy to fix it, but I know in this world of fan-sites that isn't an option. I know you'll figure something out and maybe we'll have to deal with some bugs or growing pains, but you'll figure it out and we will all benefit.

spaceharfang

September 11, 2011, 06:26:06 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
It is possible to have a database that evolves along the requirements.  It is just too easy to use a quick fix at some point.   It takes discipline to make sure the database remains flexible.

Agile development techniques put a lot of tools toward that goal.

Wajo357

September 20, 2011, 02:46:13 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
SOS... thanks for all of your hard work in the 3rd party categories. Below are some things that were missed or should be added whenever...

Artist Toys - their MP-04 Rollars (different colors)
BTS Toys - Ironhide and Ratchet heads and Black Ironhide and Green Ratchet heads and BTS-03 - BBTS Exclusive version
Gear4Toys - Ironhide and Ratchet upgrade torsos, arms and head
Headrobots - The packaging insert card set
iGear - MP-01 Cape accessory
Masterming creations - both versions of the optimus train, nemesis train, purple train and upcoming shockwave
MegaShooter collectibles - Mega Gun and Brown King
Unicron.com - Unicron stand, BW Gold disk with reader accessory, Animated accessory set.
Fansproject:
    TFC-EX01 Classics Cliffjumper Upgrade/Conversion Kit
    Your missing one of the allspark cubes (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail, http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail, http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail)

-Joe
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

Go Up