Just some ideas for the site.

Started by Antron007, November 15, 2012, 05:44:18 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Antron007

Hey everybody,
I was modifying one of my products today and was thinking that it'd be cool to have something like a "Date Received" along with the Purchase Date for instances where you may have won a ebay item or pre-ordered something.

Also what about adding "Pre-Ordered" into the current condition options? Maybe even "Being Shipped" or "In Transit" or something. I'm not too into the latter of the two but "Pre-Ordered" (or something like that) and "Date Received" would be cool.

So, sound off and tell me what you think.

Tripredacus

That's some hard core tracking!

My only issue is that I don't know how to add values for things in buy in lots...

shmax

November 16, 2012, 10:20:06 AM Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:37:41 AM by shmax

Hey everybody,
I was modifying one of my products today and was thinking that it'd be cool to have something like a "Date Received" along with the Purchase Date for instances where you may have won a ebay item or pre-ordered something.

Also what about adding "Pre-Ordered" into the current condition options? Maybe even "Being Shipped" or "In Transit" or something. I'm not too into the latter of the two but "Pre-Ordered" (or something like that) and "Date Received" would be cool.

So, sound off and tell me what you think.

Hmm, we can see what other folks think, but I'm a little reluctant to make the collection interface more elaborate than it already is. For most people, I expect that the "date purchased" and "date acquired" values are either the same, or are close enough to not make much of a difference. I don't know if you've noticed, but we do now display "Pre-ordered on" on the view collection page if your "date bought" is less than the release date. This is sort of a new feature, and we haven't gotten any feedback on it yet, so I'll be interested to hear what you think.

shmax

That's some hard core tracking!

My only issue is that I don't know how to add values for things in buy in lots...

We don't support that yet, and I'll admit I wouldn't know where to start. Any ideas?

engledogg

November 16, 2012, 11:14:15 AM Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:18:12 PM by engledogg
For a lot of like items, I manually divide the price paid by the number of items in the lot.

If it's a lot of, say, a MISB Masterpiece Optimus Prime and three Happy Meal toys, that would be something different.  If you paid $50 total for the lot, scale the value of the Happy Meal toys - just so it doesn't look like you paid $12.50 for each item.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Tripredacus

I've got an idea about lots. Put a checkbox next to the purchase price field that says "lot purchase price" or something. Then make sure that any price entered as a lot purchase does not get figured into the current member pricing data.

So for example, let's say I go modify my Reflector entry in my collection, add a price of $9.99 and check the box. Give the user an option to link additional records to the lot. For me it would be Dead End (G1) and Cindersaur (G1).

Now say another user goes and looks up Reflector, below the User's value table, have an AJAX link that says "view lot pricing". Click on that and you can see the high, low and average lot price entered by users where that particular record has been tagged. That way a user can see the stand-alone value and lot value.

BUT, make sure not to tie those prices to people's collections. If you look at my recent additions, I did not add Cindersaur because it was a dupe (I don't add dupes into my collection here), so make sure to tie it to the figure record itself, rather than the figure record inside of someone's collection.

That's my grand idea.

engledogg

Regarding duplicates, trips...wouldn't it be a good idea to enter those to your collection on shmax? 

Just for insurance purposes, if nothing else.  Not that it would "prove" that you actually owned them, but it's better than nothing, right?  At least there would be some estimate out there that would cover your ENTIRE collection.

MIKE
engledogg

Tripredacus

Regarding duplicates, trips...wouldn't it be a good idea to enter those to your collection on shmax? 

Just for insurance purposes, if nothing else.  Not that it would "prove" that you actually owned them, but it's better than nothing, right?  At least there would be some estimate out there that would cover your ENTIRE collection.

MIKE
engledogg

Maybe... But with few exceptions, dupes are not something I plan on keeping around. Oh btw what is the maximum for duplicates? I have 12 Kickbacks for example. ;)

engledogg

No limit...and I would suggest adding them, even if you don't plan on keeping them around - they still have value and are in your possession.  You can always remove them later once you do sell/trade/whatever them away.

MIKE
engledogg

engledogg

Hmm, we can see what other folks think, but I'm a little reluctant to make the collection interface more elaborate than it already is. For most people, I expect that the "date purchased" and "date acquired" values are either the same, or are close enough to not make much of a difference. I don't know if you've noticed, but we do now display "Pre-ordered on" on the view collection page if your "date bought" is less than the release date. This is sort of a new feature, and we haven't gotten any feedback on it yet, so I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Speaking of "Pre-ordered on"...when viewing my collection, I'm seeing that "Pre-ordered on" come up for things where I didn't enter ANY purchase date.

http://www.shmax.com/view_collection/1030/117

Any way to disable that language for an item in which no date is entered?

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

Speaking of "Pre-ordered on"...when viewing my collection, I'm seeing that "Pre-ordered on" come up for things where I didn't enter ANY purchase date.

MIKE
engledogg

Egad, how did we miss that? Good catch, fixed.

Antron007

MIKE
engledogg

I actually kind of mentioned that in my very first post...   

tripp, 12 kickbacks? Really? So, uhh, whats a guy got to doto get on your xmas list?

Tripredacus

MIKE
engledogg

I actually kind of mentioned that in my very first post...   

tripp, 12 kickbacks? Really? So, uhh, whats a guy got to doto get on your xmas list?

That's a conservative guess. Prior to my TF "vacation" I tried army building G1 Basic Insecticons. Here is an old photo to give you an idea.

Antron007

Nice Trip. If robot chicken decides to re-make the ten commandments using transformers  I'll be sure to let them know that you have the plagues covered. :-)

Tripredacus

No limit...and I would suggest adding them, even if you don't plan on keeping them around - they still have value and are in your possession.  You can always remove them later once you do sell/trade/whatever them away.

MIKE
engledogg

Well I just added my first dupe. I just got a pre-rub Prowl in the mail and it turns out it is different than the one I already have. It has the L brackets and 2 line gun, while my original one has the blank circle stamp, I brackets and the 0 line gun. So I can add duplicates like this since we already decided to not add all those mold variations into the database.

Go Up