[RESOLVED]Appraisal Data to include shipping

Started by Wajo357, December 31, 2012, 07:43:07 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Wajo357

December 31, 2012, 07:43:07 PM Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:27:28 PM by shmax
I'm not sure if this is a bug, feature request or user input error so I'm just throwing this in the bug forum ;).

If you look at the user price graph used for the appraisal data for MP Lambor (as an example):
http://shmax.com/product_details/10583/lambor

You'll see most prices ranging from $75-$95: which is what I would expect. However, there is still a boat load from $50-$65. I assume these prices are from people who buy it overseas and pay high shipping costs; getting the actual price closer to $75-$95.

Questions:
1) Are these users entering shipping data?
2) If so, can you include shipping data in the appraisals?
3) If not, can we tweak the layout of the collection widget to try to get the shipping info from them? For instance, ask whether purchased online or in store. If online is selected, the shipping window will appear and the user will have to fill in a value or select the price specified includes shipping. Or something... just to try to avoid these large discrepancies that are muddying the data.
4) Is the ebay appraisal tool also looking at shipping? I don't know how this would be implemented since shipping varies from location to location. The truth is, many auctions coming from overseas also show a large price discrepancy due to the large shipping associated with it.

And just in case you think this post isn't really about a bug, here is one:
http://shmax.com/product_details/10583/lambor: Words "Price" and "Bids" in the ebay auction table are  connected and not spaced apart.
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

Tripredacus

http://shmax.com/product_details/10583/lambor: Words "Price" and "Bids" in the ebay auction table are  connected and not spaced apart.

It looks like a dynamic sized table. Setting the cell (or column) that the Bids word is in to centered instead of Left justified should fix that issue.

shmax

3) If not, can we tweak the layout of the collection widget to try to get the shipping info from them? For instance, ask whether purchased online or in store. If online is selected, the shipping window will appear and the user will have to fill in a value or select the price specified includes shipping. Or something... just to try to avoid these large discrepancies that are muddying the data.
4) Is the ebay appraisal tool also looking at shipping? I don't know how this would be implemented since shipping varies from location to location. The truth is, many auctions coming from overseas also show a large price discrepancy due to the large shipping associated with it.

1. Dunno--are you suggesting that if they didn't enter shipping info, then we can assume that they included it in the price paid data, skewing it?
2. Not sure what you mean--you want me to add the shipping paid to the price paid? Wouldn't that REALLY mess things up? If a toy is worth $1, isn't it still worth a buck regardless of where you have it shipped?
3. So, in effect, if we suspect an item was shipped, then we don't want to trust the price paid if shipping was not also entered? I'd like to think about that some more...
4. No, I don't think so, but we all know that a lot of sellers try to weasel around the eBay fees by selling the item for $1 and sneaking the rest of the price into the "shipping" fee.

I think you've got some good points, but I think I'd rather revisit this stuff after we get the long-overdue site expansion a little further along.

Wajo357

1. Dunno--are you suggesting that if they didn't enter shipping info, then we can assume that they included it in the price paid data, skewing it?
2. Not sure what you mean--you want me to add the shipping paid to the price paid? Wouldn't that REALLY mess things up? If a toy is worth $1, isn't it still worth a buck regardless of where you have it shipped?
3. So, in effect, if we suspect an item was shipped, then we don't want to trust the price paid if shipping was not also entered? I'd like to think about that some more...
4. No, I don't think so, but we all know that a lot of sellers try to weasel around the eBay fees by selling the item for $1 and sneaking the rest of the price into the "shipping" fee.

I think you've got some good points, but I think I'd rather revisit this stuff after we get the long-overdue site expansion a little further along.

1) I don't enter shipping info because usually I buy lots of items. So I just divide the shipping equally and add it to the purchase price of the item.

2) To a buyer, it doesn't make a difference how the money is broken up (toy cost, shipping, tax), it all depends on how much the buyer is paying out-of-pocket. THAT is the true worth of the figure. Some auctions have $2 BIN but $100 shipping. I am trying to say that the value of that auction figure is NOT $2, but $102 - and the appraisal system should understand that. Anybody buying that auction doesn't say to themselves "$2 is a bargain, let me BUY IT NOW". They have to understand they are shelling out $102 for the item and therefore, that is the worth of the item. If I have a choice of buying an item from BBTS for $70 + $10 shipping or from Robot Kingdom for $50+ $30 shipping - is there any difference in the value of the figure? From what I understand how the system works, I overpaid by $20 - when in reality, they are costing me the same price and therefore should be the same in the appraisal system. People are pumping money into shipping and tax that add to the value of the item but we aren't tracking it. Therefore, we are undervaluing many of the items here.

3) Yeah... I'm not sure how you want to proceed with the coding. I can help you if you want. I'm just trying to say that we should set up the widget such that the format pushes the user to give a total price paid for the item (whether in one field or multiple fields)

4) I had a feeling that was the case.

If you REALLY want to get mad at me... I was thinking that appraisal data should be segmented by country (like you have with the figures). Think about it - buying Takara Tomy figures in Japan is much cheaper than buying Takara Tomy figures in the states and buying Hasbro figures in the states is MUCH cheaper than buying them in Japan. Therefore, someone collection in Japan, from an appraisal point of view, is very different from someone's in the states. :)
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

Antron007

If you REALLY want to get mad at me... I was thinking that appraisal data should be segmented by country (like you have with the figures). Think about it - buying Takara Tomy figures in Japan is much cheaper than buying Takara Tomy figures in the states and buying Hasbro figures in the states is MUCH cheaper than buying them in Japan. Therefore, someone collection in Japan, from an appraisal point of view, is very different from someone's in the states. :)

Well that kind of went in a big circle. You say that TOTAL COST PER PERSON should equal to the value of a figure but then said buying Jap toys in Japan costs less because of shipping.

(Note: not exact numbers being used here)
So If I, in the US buy a micron at say $6 and pay another $5 in shipping I'm out $11. But USER5678 buys same micron for what equals out to be $5 US at a storefront then he's only out the $5.

I would not consider my item to be worth $6 more than his. We both paid $5 for the same. Shipping is, never has been, and never been (to my knowledge) included in the appraisal of anything.

If I move out of state and have the property appraised before hand, they are not going to include my moving costs into that appraisal. The item is worth what the item is worth. The extras you pay to get the item is the price you pay for the convenience of not having to go out and physically acquire it.

If I travel to Japan just to buy a figure, would it be fair or reasonable to include the cost of my flight and hotel into the price of the figure. Let's not try to re-define the way appraisal has been done since they sold the first wheel.

Just my $.02

Wajo357

What I am saying is that, Yes, the value of the figure should be the total cost to pay. If you are flying to Japan specifically for 1 figure that no one has; then YES - you are paying airfare, hotel, etc for 1 figure! In other words, if your total cost was $5000 for everything to get the figure, than that would mean you would have had no trouble just paying $5000 for the figure if it was offered on eBay with free shipping.

What I was saying at the end was that using the logic of Total value = Total cost, then different geographic areas around the world have generally different impacts on the total cost and *might* be worth looking into at some point. 'Imports' technically run higher than domestic released - both in Japan and the US. However, what we call domestic, they call imports etc. So when calculating total cost for a figure, you will see high variations between people who live in different regional areas of the world. Because of the large variations, it might be worth it to limit it by segregating value by region. I hope I am making myself clear. This thought isn't going around in circles, but merely the next logical step. If total value = total cost = product*(1+tax) + shipping + other, you want to minimize your variations to get a decent data set. Assuming most people don't look to get scammed, the price of the product + shipping should be pretty consistent with the going rate - in a specific region. People in the states would NOT pay for high priced Hasbro products in Italy; but Italians will.

If we purely look at the regional values (without considering shipping), the price for MP Sideswipe in Japan is approximately $60 if you look around for a good deal. The price in the states, if you look around for a good deal is approximately $80. For Americans, the more data from Japanese collectors will lower the value of the item and will give a negative weight to the data set.

Just my $.07

Antron007

January 03, 2013, 12:33:27 PM Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:38:43 PM by Antron007

What I am saying is that, Yes, the value of the figure should be the total cost to pay. If you are flying to Japan specifically for 1 figure that no one has; then YES - you are paying airfare, hotel, etc for 1 figure! In other words, if your total cost was $5000 for everything to get the figure, than that would mean you would have had no trouble just paying $5000 for the figure if it was offered on eBay with free shipping.

What I was saying at the end was that using the logic of Total value = Total cost, then different geographic areas around the world have generally different impacts on the total cost and *might* be worth looking into at some point. 'Imports' technically run higher than domestic released - both in Japan and the US. However, what we call domestic, they call imports etc. So when calculating total cost for a figure, you will see high variations between people who live in different regional areas of the world. Because of the large variations, it might be worth it to limit it by segregating value by region. I hope I am making myself clear. This thought isn't going around in circles, but merely the next logical step. If total value = total cost = product*(1+tax) + shipping + other, you want to minimize your variations to get a decent data set. Assuming most people don't look to get scammed, the price of the product + shipping should be pretty consistent with the going rate - in a specific region. People in the states would NOT pay for high priced Hasbro products in Italy; but Italians will.

If we purely look at the regional values (without considering shipping), the price for MP Sideswipe in Japan is approximately $60 if you look around for a good deal. The price in the states, if you look around for a good deal is approximately $80. For Americans, the more data from Japanese collectors will lower the value of the item and will give a negative weight to the data set.

Just my $.07

Well I wasn't really talking about that 1 special item. I was more referring to something like microns. Mass produced just not in the US.

So spending $5000 for a unique item (unicorn) is not really the same as buying a micron. And if you are willing to spend $4500 in travel and such to buy a $500 item, then that's the price YOU pay for YOU'RE need to be the elitist collector. You could have let someone in Japan buy it for $500 and spend your money on other items.

It's still only a $500 item. But if there is a stable full of them it's not a unicorn, it's a horse with a glued on horn and you probably wouldn't bother going through the trouble in the first place. You'd just get one on ebay.

And if I wanted the unicorn so bad that I'd be willing to get it on ebay for a total of $5000 I would and then I'd subtract the, let's say $50 for shipping and would put price paid at $4950. But I chose to pay $4950 for a $500 figure.

What you pay for something is not what it is worth. If that were the case no one would ever turn a profit. I can sell you a 1990 Geo Prism for $50,000 it doesn't make 1990 Geo Prizm's worth $50,000. They are still $7,000 (new in the 90's) cars. You just over paid and over paying is a buyers mistake not the markets.

People are not in theory paying extra for the items. They are paying extra for the privilege to own them.

Eventually if people get sick of holding onto that MP Sideswipe in the US they're gonna let it go for $60 or as little as they paid for it just to make their money back not have it taking up space that more popular items could occupy. Especially in a niche market like collectibles.

On the other side of the coin, if some one is hard up for money and sells a $500 item to you for say $100, do you say you bought a $100 item, or did you get a $500 for $100. Should everyone else who paid $500 feel they got ripped off or should they fell you got a deal?

Also tax and shipping costs are traditionally NEVER included in any appraisal data BECAUSE they vary from region to region.

All of this is just the basic principles of marketing and sales. I personally, sadly, have nothing better to do with my time now but, we are spending alot of time discussing a process that has been as standardized as possible a very long time ago.

Although Re-designing the wheel does seem like it may be a fun challenge. We just need people to be honest about price paid.

Also ebay is now taking a cut of peoples shipping costs because of shipping gouging. So that will be ironing itself out here soon enough. One could debate that most companies over charge for shipping so buying on ebay may soon become the only place to pay fair shipping charges.

It cost me about $1 more to have a 13.5 lbs.  skimboard sent from portland oregon to north west ohio than the shipping charge from BBTS on my G2 FOC Bruticus. I don't know what Bruticus weighs off hand but I know it's alot less than a 48" x 22" x 3/8" piece of solid wood.

I do understand where you are coming from Wajo, and personally I agree with your logic but, I also feel there should be no homeless people, no starving children, no endangered species and lets throw world peace in there too but it simply just isn't the way things are.

If anything we should trim those extra high and extra low numbers from the overpayers and bargain getters to get more accurate number of what a figure is truly worth.

Wajo357

January 03, 2013, 01:41:25 PM Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:42:56 PM by Wajo357

Just my $.07

Well I wasn't really talking about that 1 special item. I was more referring to something like microns. Mass produced just not in the US.

So spending $5000 for a unique item (unicorn) is not really the same as buying a micron. And if you are willing to spend $4500 in travel and such to buy a $500 item, then that's the price YOU pay for YOU'RE need to be the elitist collector. You could have let someone in Japan buy it for $500 and spend your money on other items.

It's still only a $500 item. But if there is a stable full of them it's not a unicorn, it's a horse with a glued on horn and you probably wouldn't bother going through the trouble in the first place. You'd just get one on ebay.

And if I wanted the unicorn so bad that I'd be willing to get it on ebay for a total of $5000 I would and then I'd subtract the, let's say $50 for shipping and would put price paid at $4950. But I chose to pay $4950 for a $500 figure.

What you pay for something is not what it is worth. If that were the case no one would ever turn a profit. I can sell you a 1990 Geo Prism for $50,000 it doesn't make 1990 Geo Prizm's worth $50,000. They are still $7,000 (new in the 90's) cars. You just over paid and over paying is a buyers mistake not the markets.

People are not in theory paying extra for the items. They are paying extra for the privilege to own them.

I think you are inadvertently agreeing with me :). Most people don't overpay - which is the whole reason why this appraisal system was setup. It assumes the payment amount from the community is in-line with the value. So if I have a choice of getting a toy overpriced at my local comic shop in NY for $100 + 7.85% tax or get it for $85+$7 shipping online, what would I do? Do I compare $100 vs $85? That would not be realistic. People want a turn-key price. How much out of pocket does this need to cost to get from your location to me. People shouldn't be glad they got a bargain if they get ripped off in shipping or other expenses. That is ludacris. A person will pay one value. That value may be broken up to different people, but to the buyer - he doesn't care who takes away what portion of the money. He knows that the value of a figure is about $25. So now the math is simple: (Sticker Price)*(1+tax)+shipping+other<$25. Any of those variable can be 0. The buyer doesn't care and neither should the appraisal system. We have to assume the buyer knows how to add and is concerned about the bottom line price. We have to assume a single input/output function - Toy = f(total$). That function, f(total$) can be a variation of any of the variables above - not our concern because that can vary person to person, item to item, etc.

Eventually if people get sick of holding onto that MP Sideswipe in the US they're gonna let it go for $60 or as little as they paid for it just to make their money back not have it taking up space that more popular items could occupy. Especially in a niche market like collectibles.

On the other side of the coin, if some one is hard up for money and sells a $500 item to you for say $100, do you say you bought a $100 item, or did you get a $500 for $100. Should everyone else who paid $500 feel they got ripped off or should they fell you got a deal?

-Note the bold word you used above - PAID. Not sticker price or item won price, but total cost PAID out of pocket. Like I said, you are agreeing with me ;).

-If I land a great deal and get a $500 for $100 (which I've done before), then that is 1 data point in the tool and shouldn't skewer the results too much. If many people were getting these phenomenal deals, then guess what, the appraisal system is working and the value of the item is dropping. Just look at how fortress maximus auctions have dropped and will continue to drop due to the upcoming encore release.

Also tax and shipping costs are traditionally NEVER included in any appraisal data BECAUSE they vary from region to region.

What are you basing this knowledge on when you use "traditionally NEVER". Most insurance companies deal with dollars in terms of "price PAID", "replacement price", etc - all of these terms are turn-key values. The insurance company doesn't care if you used BBTS with shipping or went to a local comic shop. They want to know how much did it cost you to buy it and get it home.

All of this is just the basic principles of marketing and sales. I personally, sadly, have nothing better to do with my time now but, we are spending alot of time discussing a process that has been as standardized as possible a very long time ago.

Although Re-designing the wheel does seem like it may be a fun challenge. We just need people to be honest about price paid.

Again, where is this being standardized? Definitely not by insurance companies, which is the main reason to get your collection appraised besides bragging rights.

Also ebay is now taking a cut of peoples shipping costs because of shipping gouging. So that will be ironing itself out here soon enough. One could debate that most companies over charge for shipping so buying on ebay may soon become the only place to pay fair shipping charges.

It cost me about $1 more to have a 13.5 lbs.  skimboard sent from portland oregon to north west ohio than the shipping charge from BBTS on my G2 FOC Bruticus. I don't know what Bruticus weighs off hand but I know it's alot less than a 48" x 22" x 3/8" piece of solid wood.

I do understand where you are coming from Wajo, and personally I agree with your logic but, I also feel there should be no homeless people, no starving children, no endangered species and lets throw world peace in there too but it simply just isn't the way things are.

If anything we should trim those extra high and extra low numbers from the overpayers and bargain getters to get more accurate number of what a figure is truly worth.

Again, I don't know why you assume there is a standard. And if there is, why follow trope if it is wrong. For instance:
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11575&mode=retail
http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/5663/

So according to your methodology, assuming people only bought from TFSource and BBTS, the shmax graph would have two linear horizontal lines - the $329 and the $349. You seem to also suggest that the $20 in shipping BBTS wants isn't important. Yet, TFSource offers Free shipping on the item. So here we have a situation where people who bought from TFSource will have a higher appraisal than they bought and people who ordered from BBTS will have a lower one. Why? Simple - shipping. If shipping was calculated everyone's price PAID would be approximately $350. The appraisal system will then determine the item is worth about $350 - whether you bought from BBTS, TFsource or eBay for $1 and $248 in shipping.

Again, assuming you have enough data points, the extra high and low numbers will not affect the data that much assuming you have a decent formula.

Tripredacus

That's why there is a high, low and AVERAGE price. It is the average value that is shown on the details view. I don't even agree that shipping should be added into the site at all. Some of these recent posts seem very focused on what a vast minority of the site's users want. Sometimes I think you'll want Shmax to link your bank account here so you can balance your checkbook!  ;D

Antron007

I just don't think shipping should be included in the value of the product. Products are released in waves and seem usually get to my area 2-6 weeks after they are seen at retail in other places. So if I buy a figure for the same price that wal-mart or tru will sell it at but I pay to have one shipped to me, that shouldn't make it worth more. I could wait and hope I see one in a few weeks but I chose to pay more. I don't feel that should affect the value of the item itself. Yeah I'm out the money but it wasn't the item that cost me.

A typical homeowners/renters insurance pays only the actual cash value.  A You can have additional replacement coverage that will pay the cost to replace the item.   

So shipping may be included in the later but your basic insurance only covers sticker price. 

I didn't want to sound like a jerk but my information comes from text books. I'm not trying to  argue with anyone. It's just how it is. I'm sorry if I've upset or offended anyone. :(

Wajo357

I just don't think shipping should be included in the value of the product. Products are released in waves and seem usually get to my area 2-6 weeks after they are seen at retail in other places. So if I buy a figure for the same price that wal-mart or tru will sell it at but I pay to have one shipped to me, that shouldn't make it worth more. I could wait and hope I see one in a few weeks but I chose to pay more. I don't feel that should affect the value of the item itself. Yeah I'm out the money but it wasn't the item that cost me.

A typical homeowners/renters insurance pays only the actual cash value.  A You can have additional replacement coverage that will pay the cost to replace the item.   

So shipping may be included in the later but your basic insurance only covers sticker price. 

I didn't want to sound like a jerk but my information comes from text books. I'm not trying to  argue with anyone. It's just how it is. I'm sorry if I've upset or offended anyone. :(

Antron007,

After thinking about it, I think I understand where our perspectives differ. I doubt I can change your mind at this point, but it seems to me you are thinking of it from a marketing, selling, and manufacturer's point of view. You keep on mentioning marketing, retail stores, MSRP, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong on this assumption. According to this viewpoint, you are correct. If the store is selling it for $24.99, than the value is $24.99.

However, my viewpoint is from a collector buying collectibles. In my mind, even a regular toy really only retains it's store value while it is on the shelf. About 3 months after that, the only way to get things is from the secondary market. MSRP doesn't count anymore. You are right, if someone is gung-ho and pays for shipping early instead of waiting, then he is wasting his money. But you will always have some people who overspend and some people who get great deals. That is the 'noise' in the appraisal system. For example, most people are having a really hard time getting Masterpiece prime in the stores. So if most people are paying more than MSRP for him (whether through shipping from TRU.com or other methods), than his value is more than MSRP.

Now in terms of insurance, you are looking at it again from the wrong perspective. You are thinking of insurance like if a boiler breaks, or a fire destroys your couch. Of course the insurance is going to cover those costs. However, you have to start thinking of the items on Shmax like someone who owns a coin collection or a stamp collection. Both of those collections defy the whole point of MSRP. If the coins were only valued at MSRP, nothing would be worth more than a dollar! :). So someone has to tell the insurance companies what the value is. Back in the 80s and 90s there were books that said a rare German coin made from 1926 that was a misprint is now worth $657. Whatever.... Transformers don't have that. We need some way to determine value. MSRP is obviously not right, so some other method is needed. That other method has to then focus from the seller's price to the buyer's out-of-pocket $ paid.

Here is a simple question that I pose to everyone. If you are interested in a figure and the max price you want to pay is $100 for the item; if you find the item online for $95+$15 shipping, would you pay for it?

No one here is a 'jerk'. We are all having a decent conversation. I don't belittle you because you don't agree with me and I hope you don't belittle me for not agreeing with you.

When you write 'textbooks', I can only assume without an further information that you are referring to marketing, selling, etc textbooks. As I've said earlier, your comments make sense from that perspective.

I am not offended. I just think a value is how much people are willing to pay out of pocket and we should capture that - especially if this formula will converge many of the data points closer together. We should keep it simple and not try to break up the buyer's money into two bins - one bin we will count as value to the item and one bin we won't. Especially since the money can so easily be interchanged between bins in different buying situations (see my Fortress Maximus example above).

Wajo357

That's why there is a high, low and AVERAGE price. It is the average value that is shown on the details view. I don't even agree that shipping should be added into the site at all. Some of these recent posts seem very focused on what a vast minority of the site's users want. Sometimes I think you'll want Shmax to link your bank account here so you can balance your checkbook!  ;D

Tripredacus,

I wasn't a fan of the shipping value field either. I always have and always will just put in the total price "PAID" for the item in the price field. I usually buy most of my stuff in lots, so it gets messy with having a separate field. I just divide the shipping evenly by the number of items in the lot and add it to the price of the item in the invoice. Done. That is the price in the field. As I've mentioned earlier, I only care about how much money I spent on an item - not how it was broken up. If it was up to me, I would get rid of the shipping box.

I think generally when people are passionate about a product, they want more features from it. What is there NOT to be passionate about Shmax.com? The idea, quality and service are great. It also has a lot of room for growth, so some people (including myself) threw some ideas at Shmax to see what would stick. I'm not sure if your comment above was directed towards me, but If you look back at my feature requests from years back, you'll see most of them have been for the overall benefit of the whole site.

The only purely selfish feature request that I can think of off-hand was the idea to have some indication in the 'shared molds' portion of a product page if the user has those items as well. So for people who collect repaints etc, they can see quickly if they have all of the repaints, remolds, etc. Other than that, most of my ideas have been to try to get the site to grow (expansion of products, selling through the site, partnering with TF sites, social websites, features from competitors' websites, etc)

Antron007

You are a solid person Wajo, and I think you nailed it. We are talking about 2 sides of the same coin. I am thinking specifically along the lines of the insurance and marketing perspective. I see where you're coming from as a collector as well and truly see your point of view. I just wouldn't want someone to look at the appraisal data and think that if a disaster were to occur, that that's what they be entitled too.

And no I don't feel belittled and I had no intention of making anyone feel belittled. I really enjoyed this conversation Wajo. Hopefully we can have a pleasant difference of opinion again sometime. If anything we sure put alot of valid information for others to read.

I gotta run

shmax

January 07, 2013, 11:48:16 PM Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:01:49 AM by shmax
This is all way too much for my poor over-worked little brain to follow, but it sounds to me like Wajo is getting the notion of "expense" conflated with "value". Yes, it's possible to fly to Mexico for lunch and spend $3000 on a taco, but that taco is still worth $1. Your expense was considerably larger, and if you're collecting receipts to be reimbursed later, then by all means hang onto that ticket stub. But it's still a $1 taco, and if I were running a website dedicated to informing other hungry folks what they can expect to pay for a similar taco, the $1 is what I would show.

So maybe what we should really be talking about is how to better track expenses. I added "shipping paid" by request some time back, because someone wanted to track it independently, and it seemed like a natural way to let users track their expense without artificially inflating the value. As Antron says, this is the way it's been done since the first retailer rose out of the primordial ooze--the price, shipping, and tax are always itemized separately (the first person that asks me to start tracking tax will be destroyed). But my implementation is a bit crude, and there is surely room for improvement. I think we're already showing price paid and shipping paid in the "blue bar", but I could also show it on the view collection page. I could also show a cumulative expenses tally in the "fun facts" so you can compare what you paid to what we figure your collection is worth, giving you some idea of what the delta would be if you were to liquidate your whole collection.

My brain hurts. I talk too much.

Wajo357

This is all way too much for my poor over-worked little brain to follow, but it sounds to me like Wajo is getting the notion of "expense" conflated with "value". Yes, it's possible to fly to Mexico for lunch and spend $3000 on a taco, but that taco is still worth $1. Your expense was considerably larger, and if you're collecting receipts to be reimbursed later, then by all means hang onto that ticket stub. But it's still a $1 taco, and if I were running a website dedicated to informing other hungry folks what they can expect to pay for a similar taco, the $1 is what I would show.

So maybe what we should really be talking about is how to better track expenses. I added "shipping paid" by request some time back, because someone wanted to track it independently, and it seemed like a natural way to let users track their expense without artificially inflating the value. As Antron says, this is the way it's been done since the first retailer rose out of the primordial ooze--the price, shipping, and tax are always itemized separately (the first person that asks me to start tracking tax will be destroyed). But my implementation is a bit crude, and there is surely room for improvement. I think we're already showing price paid and shipping paid in the "blue bar", but I could also show it on the view collection page. I could also show a cumulative expenses tally in the "fun facts" so you can compare what you paid to what we figure your collection is worth, giving you some idea of what the delta would be if you were to liquidate your whole collection.

My brain hurts. I talk too much.

Maybe take a second look when your headache subsides. That's not really what I'm talking about. Your example, is similar to what Antron007 was giving - where someone can just pick up a taco at their local store. Of course any extra costs would be based on the buyer's pure spending habits. I am discussing our unique situation where most of these products are not sold at retail anymore. You have to think of our products like a coin collection or a stamp collection, where initial value (MSRP) does not play any role in the value. We are also assuming the common buyer will always decide the purchasing path which will end up with him paying the cheapest. Therefore, for a non-retail figure, if he has a choice of paying $85+$15 shipping or $95 shipped, which one do you think he should do and how do you think your appraisal system will handle that data? According to shmax.com, he should do $85+$15 shipping because he is getting the item at a cheaper value - and that is the value the website will record. We don't want the poor guy to look like he overpaid with the $95 shipped, do we? We don't want him to be the laughed out of town for taking the more expensive item. But in reality, he shouldn't care how the breakdown "expense" is done - all he cares about is the total out of pocket.

What my last post should have conveyed, was that for items that are no longer on the shelf, their MSRP value is no longer the value of the item. The only way to recalculate their value is by how much people pay for them out of pocket. Breaking it up is just adding a lot of noise to the calculations.

See my fortress maximus example from above. This is another example of an item which is theoretically new with a MSRP, but a foreign item so the only way to get it is to have it shipped. So by not including the shipping value, you already have a large discrepancy between TFSource, which includes the shipping cost in the price of the item, and BBTS, which does not.

Another example is the first auction search I just did... AM-25:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=AM-25&_sacat=83732&_odkw=nemesis+breakdown&_sop=15&_osacat=83732&_from=R2&_dmd=1&_pcats=246%2C220&_armrs=1

Look at how varying their itemized prices are - $55, $59, $65, $58, $50, $57... etc

However, if you add their requested shipping to these prices you'll see all of the cheap ones are actually the same price $65. If everyone bought from these auctions and entered it into shmax.com, you'll see data points all over the place. However, if shipping was included, you'll see a much nicer plot line that truly tells the world that the going value for this product sealed, within the US is $65. Because no matter which scenario you choose, you can't go get this 'taco' for less than $65. As you mentioned above, we want to correctly inform the populace what they can expect to pay for this 'taco'. If you say $50, they'll sit and wait in front of their monitors at eBay every day while prices go up and never get what they wanted because we gave them a false value.

Go Up