will we be able to download the database?

Started by Chaotic Descent, November 28, 2008, 06:04:43 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Chaotic Descent

November 28, 2008, 06:04:43 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I was hoping the database was going to be downloadable so we could both have an offline record of our collections (for taking to conventions and such), as well as for potentially tinkering around with.
I can't remember if you said anything about this in the past... I had a feeling you were going to allow something, but I don't know if it was you or a previous project that was only going to allow a single spreadsheet output to be downloadable.
I dunno... there's also uses like being able to see what figure it is when you're less familiar with it. (like all my Micromasters. I can NEVER remember which ones I need to buy. and a name is not enough.)

shmax

December 01, 2008, 10:41:39 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'll make you a deal--you promise to contribute at least 100 photos, and I'll write some code to generate a spreadsheet for ya. Whaddya say?

Max

Chaotic Descent

December 01, 2008, 10:21:33 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
I'll make you a deal--you promise to contribute at least 100 photos, and I'll write some code to generate a spreadsheet for ya. Whaddya say?
Is there an easy way to see what needs photos and what doesn't? 100 photos... I wonder if I even have 100 things that need photos.

shmax

December 01, 2008, 11:42:31 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
There is indeed!

http://www.shmax.com/View_Collection/1/ ... t_filter=7

We're both in luck--looks like you have roughly a couple thousand parts and figures that we need photos for. If you're serious about helping with photos, you'll need to make yourself a "photo booth" out of white foam core, and get yourself a digital camera and either GIMP or Photoshop to do the white balancing. There's a tutorial for all this on the site's photo guidlines page.

Quote from: "Chaotic Descent"
Is there an easy way to see what needs photos and what doesn't? 100 photos... I wonder if I even have 100 things that need photos.

Chaotic Descent

December 03, 2008, 04:59:52 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
There is indeed!

http://www.shmax.com/View_Collection/1/ ... t_filter=7

We're both in luck--looks like you have roughly a couple thousand parts and figures that we need photos for. If you're serious about helping with photos, you'll need to make yourself a "photo booth" out of white foam core, and get yourself a digital camera and either GIMP or Photoshop to do the white balancing. There's a tutorial for all this on the site's photo guidlines page.
Cool.
I have an expensive point & shoot, and a tripod.

Man... you should save everyone all potential work in the future, and photograph everything from every angle and every variation... There should be no photographs needed to be taken of old stuff any more.
Oh! Oh! I know what we still need: photographs of things taken on a grid surface to get a sense of scale. :)

Well, I found out free webhosting won't load ChartDirector. (only took me 70 minutes to set it up locally, and another hour wasted trying to figure out how/if it could be set up on that free webhost someone recommended)
Looks like the only way to share it is by generating it locally and uploading graphics, if it outputs that; or by getting it put in here.

shmax

December 03, 2008, 06:27:26 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Chaotic Descent"
Man... you should save everyone all potential work in the future, and photograph everything from every angle and every variation... There should be no photographs needed to be taken of old stuff any more.
That's actually a pretty good point. One of the things that's been on my to-do list forever is an expansion of the photo system, that would let people contribute as many additional photos as they like of each of their toys. But in the meantime, I'd be more than thrilled just to have the two basic photos of each figure.

Oh! Oh! I know what we still need: photographs of things taken on a grid surface to get a sense of scale. :)
Another good point. I've also toyed with the idea of adding some data fields for entering in a toy's dimensions, but I worry that it's something that will gather cobwebs. I think it would be particularly useful for parts identification. We'll see...

Well, I found out free webhosting won't load ChartDirector. (only took me 70 minutes to set it up locally, and another hour wasted trying to figure out how/if it could be set up on that free webhost someone recommended)
Looks like the only way to share it is by generating it locally and uploading graphics, if it outputs that; or by getting it put in here.
Hmm, I don't know much about free hostings, but I can't imagine any of them are really appropriate for running custom web apps. Why not just wait for things to develop a bit more here? If you like you can even mock-up what you figure one of these tables should look like, and we'll go from there. I have a feeling that would be the quickest path to getting what you want...

Go Up