So what are the photographic submission procedures?

Started by Omnus, November 28, 2008, 09:24:37 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Omnus

November 28, 2008, 09:24:37 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I'm wondering due to having uploaded one (box image for Universe 2008 exclusive Special Teams Leaders), and it was just popped into the page.

I was assuming that at least someone had to approve an image before it becomes part of a page.

Don't get me wrong, I tried my best to get a good photo and follow the guidelines, but I still am not positive that it's good enough (packages are a royal pain to get a good photo of compared to figures and pieces).

So, I take it that it is assumed that a member will follow guidelines as best as possible and the image goes up for expediency's sake, followed by it being checked on by staff later?

shmax

November 28, 2008, 10:44:51 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Nice photo! Did you actually take it yourself? If so, by all means keep 'em coming!

To answer your questions, your photo submission was automatically tagged as "pending", which means it winds up in a list for a moderator to review. For record submissions marked as "pending", they are only initially visible to moderators and to the submitter himself, until they are approved. I could do something similar for photos, but I probably won't bother until someone finds a way to abuse the system.

But anyway, your photo has already been approved--thanks again for doing such great work, and please, take more! We're especially interested in parts photos, so if you've got 'em, snap away!

Quote from: "Omnus"
I'm wondering due to having uploaded one (box image for Universe 2008 exclusive Special Teams Leaders), and it was just popped into the page.

I was assuming that at least someone had to approve an image before it becomes part of a page.

Don't get me wrong, I tried my best to get a good photo and follow the guidelines, but I still am not positive that it's good enough (packages are a royal pain to get a good photo of compared to figures and pieces).

So, I take it that it is assumed that a member will follow guidelines as best as possible and the image goes up for expediency's sake, followed by it being checked on by staff later?

Omnus

November 29, 2008, 01:59:15 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
Nice photo! Did you actually take it yourself? If so, by all means keep 'em coming!
Yeah, I took that one.  I submitted it to see if it was up-to-snuff and I should even bother with "Standoff Beneath the Streets" package, since it's not quite as good (getting the right lighting on the figures in that box takes a set-up far more professional than I can afford right now).  Lightening the pics up in The Gimp just made things look faded out, even with all the color re-balancing options available.  Basically I just had to keep re-adjusting the lighting to get the best that I could.

Aside from the "Standoff" pic that I'm going to submit, I kept one other one as a humorous example of "If you see this, you need to do something".  There's a reflection in the box window that looks like a facehugger from the "Alien" movies.

To answer your questions, your photo submission was automatically tagged as "pending", which means it winds up in a list for a moderator to review. For record submissions marked as "pending", they are only initially visible to moderators and to the submitter himself, until they are approved. I could do something similar for photos, but I probably won't bother until someone finds a way to abuse the system.
Okay, good to know.  It sounds like a good system considering what the community is like.

But anyway, your photo has already been approved--thanks again for doing such great work, and please, take more! We're especially interested in parts photos, so if you've got 'em, snap away!
Now that I have a set-up similar to the example in the guide, I'll be getting to those soon.  Taking those pictures will be significantly easier than the package photos, so my only real limitation will be whether or not the TF and accessories are in storage, or currently on display (also being in my collection is a big limiting factor, but that's pretty much a given).

shmax

November 30, 2008, 09:06:07 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Omnus"
Now that I have a set-up similar to the example in the guide, I'll be getting to those soon.  Taking those pictures will be significantly easier than the package photos, so my only real limitation will be whether or not the TF and accessories are in storage, or currently on display (also being in my collection is a big limiting factor, but that's pretty much a given).
Sounds good! By the way, here are the items in your collection for which we need pictures:
http://www.shmax.com/View_Collection/1/ ... ub=0&tab=1

and by package:
http://www.shmax.com/View_Collection/1/ ... ub=0&tab=0

Go Up