[RESOLVED] Not a bug but a question on collection download

Started by locustreign, August 01, 2021, 01:39:02 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

locustreign

August 01, 2021, 01:39:02 AM Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 07:55:35 AM by shmax
Sorry, couldn't find a better spot for this!

When you put an entry into the database, there is an option to change the currency of the purchase price and shipping (I use this a lot, I'm based in the UK but buy from abroad reasonably regularly).

However when I download my collection it's not clear what currency a) the purchase price is in (i.e. the originally entered currency or converted to USD), and b) what price the value is in.

I assume that it's the originally entered currency for a) but not sure at all on b). Could someone clarify?

(as a side point depending on the answer I might have a suggestion for a feature hah)

engledogg

August 02, 2021, 06:53:21 PM Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 06:55:15 PM by engledogg
I might be misunderstanding what you're asking, but I think the currency type and price found on your downloaded collection should match those seen on the site.  I don't think there's a currency conversion that happens when you download your collection.

I guess to test, find an item in your collection on the site, note the currency type and price paid and then compare them to the currency type and price paid for that same item in your downloaded collection.  If they both match, there ya go. 

MIKE
engledogg

Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

I might be misunderstanding what you're asking, but I think the currency type and price found on your downloaded collection should match those seen on the site.  I don't think there's a currency conversion that happens when you download your collection.

I guess to test, find an item in your collection on the site, note the currency type and price paid and then compare them to the currency type and price paid for that same item in your downloaded collection.  If they both match, there ya go.  

MIKE
engledogg

I think what he's saying is that the currency used for "price paid" is not reflected anywhere in the downloaded data. If that's all he wants I think we can easily accommodate him.

locustreign

Hi both, thanks for replying. I think a column on the download with the currency would be useful. I think it'd also be good to know what currency the valuation is in - if I recall correctly it's taken from eBay sales, correct? But of course eBay deals in multiple countries, currencies etc. The end result I'm looking for is clarity on the total value of the collection for insurance purposes, but I need to have that in GBP - so essentially I need to know if I need to do any currency conversion on the value :)

engledogg

August 03, 2021, 07:13:17 AM Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 07:15:21 AM by engledogg
I think what he's saying is that the currency used for "price paid" is not reflected anywhere in the downloaded data. If that's all he wants I think we can easily accommodate him.
Ah, gotcha.  Makes sense.

Oh, regarding valuations, in the past, they were based on eBay sales, but they are currently based on shmax user-submitted data.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

locustreign

Ah, gotcha.  Makes sense.

Oh, regarding valuations, in the past, they were based on eBay sales, but they are currently based on shmax user-submitted data.

MIKE
engledogg
Ah, nice. So if we're basing on user data - it could be a mix of different currencies then, correct? (IE if I pay £20 for something and you pay $30 - it'll take an average of 25 indeterminate currency, even though £20 is closer to $28, so an actual average ought to be $29)
Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just want to make sure I understand it all properly!

shmax

Ah, nice. So if we're basing on user data - it could be a mix of different currencies then, correct? (IE if I pay £20 for something and you pay $30 - it'll take an average of 25 indeterminate currency, even though £20 is closer to $28, so an actual average ought to be $29)
We normalize the data points to USD when computing value using conversion rate data polled from somewhere-or-other (Yahoo finance, I think).

At any rate, we've fixed the missing currency code issue (it was actually already in the code, but there was a bug preventing it from working correctly). Thanks for the report.

locustreign

We normalize the data points to USD when computing value using conversion rate data polled from somewhere-or-other (Yahoo finance, I think).

At any rate, we've fixed the missing currency code issue (it was actually already in the code, but there was a bug preventing it from working correctly). Thanks for the report.

That's really helpful. Thanks dude. Appreciate it ????

locustreign

Also that was supposed to be a standard smiley emoji, Christ knows what happened there!

Go Up