If THIS doesn't make you happy, I'm switching to Care Bears

Started by shmax, March 09, 2009, 05:00:40 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

March 09, 2009, 05:00:40 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
[wrap=left:220dpdxa][thumb=427,500:220dpdxa]http://www.shmax.com/img/misc/collection_sample.gif[/thumb:220dpdxa][/wrap:220dpdxa]Well folks, the collection system overhaul I've been promising for what seems like forever is finally ready, and all it cost me  was two false starts, 6 months of full-time coding,  and about 20 pounds. Gained. No clue what I'm talking about? Well neither do I, but in short, the old "I own it" checkbox that you've been using to add toys to your collection has been led out back and quietly shot. In its place is a comprehensive interface that will let you specify various facts about a particular toy, including condition (sealed, opened, frozen in carbonite, etc), price paid, date bought, on and on. You can even add a toy multiple times, in case you have a hoarding habit.

The big feature that SHOULD make you go "ooh, ahhh" is the parts checklist. Yes, if you have opened a toy and lost various pieces over the years, you can uncheck what's missing. Sure, it sounds like a little thing, but engineering woes aside, remember that some poor bastard had to enter about 16,000 parts--one by one--into the database, carefully researching and slaving over each and every one. The particular poor bastard you should be thanking in this case is Engledogg, who did nearly all of the work himself (with a big assist from SoS).

The "view collection" page has also been revamped to reflect the changes to the collection system. It now shows everything we know about each instance of a toy in your collection. Most interesting perhaps is the condition status--if a toy is sealed or still in the box, we show a package photo. If it's open, we show a list of the figure photos. There's also a "Fun Facts" box over on the right, showing various statistical info for your collection, scoped to the current category. You're welcome--nay, encouraged--to share this link with your friends. Go on, don't be shy.

This is a new feature, and as new features go it's a big one, so be on the lookout for bugs and please, please report any issues you notice. I'm hovering over my keyboard in feverish anticipation, ready to squash any bugs you find in the woodwork.

"But Shmax", you wail. "This is all too much! What can we possibly do to repay you for all of the hard work? Money? Women? That pony you've always wanted?" Not at all, my friends. I crave not material things. What I DO crave, however, are photos. Package photos. Part photos. Figure photos. No naked photos, please, for the love of god. The "Photos you can provide" link has also been upgraded, such that it knows only to bug you for part and figure photos for toys that you have opened. Now, I offered a free Mickey Mouse Transformer to the highest photo bidder recently, and the results of that promotion were a spectacular failure. The only guy who bid any photos doesn't even own a camera. Now come on, guys--are you going to  let a guy who doesn't even own a camera take you to school in a photo contest?

[wrap=right:220dpdxa][/wrap:220dpdxa]
Okay, let's see, new collection system, check. Beg shamelessly and fruitlessly for photos, check. Oh, one more thing--I've finally upgraded the .gif-based signature graphic (which you can find on the "Your Dynamic Sig" link, available once you register). By popular request, it is now tallying your toys by figure instead of SKU (so all those package variants and whatnot don't minimize your stats), and it even tabs through different pages for those of you with large, diverse collections. Why do I bring this up? Well, because it's kind of cool, and also because I'd love for you guys to use it, and help spread the word about the site.

Enjoy.

mikeyfuzz

March 09, 2009, 09:09:21 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Great feature addition.  I am in the middle of completely destroying the value of my figures,(listing them as opened) :)
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=372" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=372</a>

romorini

March 09, 2009, 02:51:05 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Ditto with the plummeting collection value. *Update: the value of my collection went from $4,620 to $9.99.

Also, curses! my instruction-booklet only bid is being challenged by a camera-wielding member! I'm doomed! How could I have known being without a camera would handicap me in this competition?!
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=416" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=416</a>

shmax

March 09, 2009, 05:44:02 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
$9.99? That does sound a little severe. This may be an example of one of these "bugs" that I've heard can sometimes happen. I'll look into it. As for them photos and not having a camera, have you learned nothing about the fine art of mooching from my example? Borrow a camera, says I. It shouldn't be hard--every other carbon-based lifeform on the planet already has one. You'd be in the clear for winning a toy, and you'd be making a tired old code-monkey proud. So get mooching!

Quote from: "romorini"
Ditto with the plummeting collection value. *Update: the value of my collection went from $4,620 to $9.99.

Also, curses! my instruction-booklet only bid is being challenged by a camera-wielding member! I'm doomed! How could I have known being without a camera would handicap me in this competition?!

Starsteam

March 09, 2009, 06:26:09 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Yall mention this to me before.  Now I can list the figures that only came in with the ones I don't have,

Although, you are missing something, quality, some people might have more than one of the same figure, perhaps loose and MISB. That could increase their value.

My collection is 134 figures and worth $0.00...
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=227" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=227</a>

I am also looking for TV Magazine EZ Collection Clear Version Starscream,
and a few Morphobots Knock-offs. Have any, PM me.

romorini

March 09, 2009, 08:01:58 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Yeah, I'm shopping for one, I just never saw how funny it was that a guy without a camera leading the pack for a photocontest till you pointed it out. I just kinda rolled with it. I figured the shift in value of my collection is due to a lack of data about the value of all of my opened toys.

Quote from: "shmax"
$9.99? That does sound a little severe. This may be an example of one of these "bugs" that I've heard can sometimes happen. I'll look into it. As for them photos and not having a camera, have you learned nothing about the fine art of mooching from my example? Borrow a camera, says I. It shouldn't be hard--every other carbon-based lifeform on the planet already has one. You'd be in the clear for winning a toy, and you'd be making a tired old code-monkey proud. So get mooching!
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=416" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=416</a>

shmax

March 09, 2009, 08:42:38 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hmm? As usual, I'm completely confused--are you talking to me, or to Romorini? The system does indeed let you set whether a toy is sealed or loose--that was sort of the whole point of all this. And the system is supposed to be taking loose vs. sealed into account when doing the appraising, but obviously there's a bug in there somewhere. Fear not, I'll work it out soon. Of course, there will be holes in the data, as not every toy finds its way loose onto eBay. We'll work it out...

Max

Quote from: "Spongezilla"
Yall mention this to me before.  Now I can list the figures that only came in with the ones I don't have,

Although, you are missing something, quality, some people might have more than one of the same figure, perhaps loose and MISB. That could increase their value.

My collection is 134 figures and worth $0.00...

HybridHero

March 10, 2009, 01:37:11 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hmm, bit of an odd question, as I may just simply be dumb: how do you switch the condition from MISB to loose? I can't seem to figure it out  :?

engledogg

March 10, 2009, 02:02:23 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Once you click the "Add this toy to my collection link" a box will appear that starts out with a number #xxxxx - MISB, price you paid, year of purchase.

To modify this info, all you need to do is click that box, which will cause it to expand.

The first dropdown box is Condition.  The default is MISB, so all you would need to do is click on MISB, which will bring up some other options (in this case, AFA, MIB, MISB, and Loose).  Just choose 'Loose' and click on the box again up near the top like you did to open it (I generally click to the open space to the right of the year of purchase).  When you do this, this closes the box, and the changes you made will be auto-saved.

Hope this helps.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

HybridHero

March 10, 2009, 05:48:17 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
What about for toys already in your collection? (Also, when I click "Add this toy to my collection link" for a new toy, nothing happens)

mikeyfuzz

March 10, 2009, 09:31:53 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "HybridHero"
What about for toys already in your collection? (Also, when I click "Add this toy to my collection link" for a new toy, nothing happens)
If the toy is in your collection already, just click on the box with the 6 digit number.  It will then open up into a larger box with more detailed info about the toy.

P.S. to save the info about the toy when your done, click again on the 6 digit number, It took me a few minutes to figure it out too.
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=372" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=372</a>

shmax

March 10, 2009, 10:02:06 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hi there, HH. What version of what browser are you using? If it's IE6, I strongly recommend upgrading to 7, or even better, Google's Chrome. I've been working on the IE6 bug today, and getting nowhere, so the fastest solution for you is probably to just upgrade...

Max

Quote from: "HybridHero"

shmax

March 10, 2009, 11:27:30 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Bug found and squashed. What was happening was that the little bit of code resonsible for updating the value of a toy when you change its condition wasn't firing. I've fixed the bug, and run a little script to run through all the collected items and set their current values accordingly. Romorini, your collection is back up to around $2200, so you can sleep soundly again.

Max

Quote from: "shmax"

Quote from: "romorini"

Repair Bay

March 11, 2009, 04:25:03 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Okay, this is really what I've been waiting for.  Thanks Shmax!

shmax

March 11, 2009, 11:08:06 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Not at all! Glad ya like it. By the way, we don't support html in the signatures. If you want italics, use the little "i" button up in the row of bbcode buttons, or just surround your text with italic tags.
Quote from: "Repair Bay"
Okay, this is really what I've been waiting for.  Thanks Shmax!

Go Up