Latest All-nighter: Alternate Form Info

Started by shmax, November 07, 2007, 01:53:11 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

November 07, 2007, 01:53:11 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by shmax
Yes, folks, when entering figure records, you can now specify what his alternate form is. This is nothing that hasn't been done before on other sites, but what makes this particular version a first is that the system is hierarchical. So, Beast Wars Optimus Prime is an ape. He's also a mammal. And of course that makes him an animal. Why is this important? Several reasons:

1. We can have as many alternate form types we like--into the hundreds if need be--so we can get very specific about what an alternate form is--without losing the ability to browse them at a higher level.

2. You can choose an alternate form with a dynamic category widget, so that you don't get overwhelmed by all those hundreds of choices. You'll see what I mean once you try it.

Eventually I'll set things up so that you can browse figures by their alternate form, just as you can currently browse them by category. In the meantime, each form listing on a details page is a link that will do a search on that particular form, and produce results like so:

http://www.shmax.com/Results/?tab=1&form_id=49

I haven't tagged all the figures yet--it takes time to build up the tree--but I did most of Cybertron just as a proof of concept, so see what ya think.

Off to sleep for me now, guys. Enjoy, and as always, don't be shy about making lots of fancy suggestions.

- shmax

Go Up