Additional field(s) for pricing/cost breakout

Started by HighPrime, July 05, 2010, 12:52:57 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

HighPrime

July 05, 2010, 12:52:57 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Talked about this in a previous thread of mine, but I hereby make an official request  :twisted:

It would be SUPER if there were multiple fields to break out fees of the items we're buying.  That we can keep track of total 'spend' on the item.  At the same time, this would prevent pricing from be polluted with costs associated with taxes, shipping, customs, etc.

Whaddya think???  :D
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=1206" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=1206</a>

shmax

July 05, 2010, 01:45:26 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Okay by me. What do you think, Ed?

shmax

July 09, 2010, 12:29:28 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
They say that if something is worth doing, then it's worth over-doing. So, in preparation for this feature, I've decided to spruce up the collection interface a bit. This is just a mock-up, but what do you guys think? Any suggestions, additions, nitpicks?

HighPrime

July 09, 2010, 09:27:34 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Looks great.  How about an option to tick whether the bubble/styrofoam/plastic tray is included for MIB/MOC/Loose options?
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=1206" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=1206</a>

shmax

July 09, 2010, 09:48:04 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "HighPrime"
How about an option to tick whether the bubble/styrofoam/plastic tray is included for MIB/MOC/Loose options?
Would you believe you're the first person to ever ask about the tray? I dunno, that's kind of a tough one to justify. Only the old toys have such a part, so I couldn't really just add the checkbox to everything. The other option is to include it as a regular part along with the other fists 'n missiles, but I dread the thought of having to come up with photos for them. Why not just mention that kind of thing in the comments field?

HighPrime

July 09, 2010, 09:53:48 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
Quote from: "HighPrime"
How about an option to tick whether the bubble/styrofoam/plastic tray is included for MIB/MOC/Loose options?
Would you believe you're the first person to ever ask about the tray? I dunno, that's kind of a tough one to justify. Only the old toys have such a part, so I couldn't really just add the checkbox to everything. The other option is to include it as a regular part along with the other fists 'n missiles, but I dread the thought of having to come up with photos for them. Why not just mention that kind of thing in the comments field?
Not true.. just about every Japanese release is tray in box.  Henkei, Micron Legends, Superlink, etc.  And what about ROTF toys?  Open the box.. you then have to slide out the tray to undo the twist ties.  Another thing to add would be the catalogs, comics, and/or checklists, like those included in G1, Energon.

We've got to put you to work!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

shmax

July 14, 2010, 08:59:24 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Just a quick update on this:

I've got the html for the new interface all worked out at this point. The next step is to rewrite my javascript widget library, which will take another few days. I hope to have something ready for you guys to look over the weekend. Stay tuned!

HighPrime

July 14, 2010, 09:01:56 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
Just a quick update on this:

I've got the html for the new interface all worked out at this point. The next step is to rewrite my javascript widget library, which will take another few days. I hope to have something ready for you guys to look over the weekend. Stay tuned!
Great progress, but don't get too relaxed.  I have another suggestion/quirk sitting in the hopper ;)

shmax

July 17, 2010, 01:39:19 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Here's a first pass rendered in html:

http://www.shmax.com/test.html

This is only a demo, so don't bother commenting on the sausages (I copied some markup from a checkbox demo I found somewhere that used pizza as an example). Best viewed in Chrome or Firefox. Ignore the styling on the calendar, it will change.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Wisecracks?

shmax

July 17, 2010, 05:13:22 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Here's a version with an "inline" calendar, styled to look more shmaxish:

http://www.shmax.com/test2.html

Whaddya think?

shmax

November 07, 2010, 01:26:34 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
This is still on the way, folks, just FYI

HighPrime

November 07, 2010, 01:32:30 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Good news :)

Wajo357

November 08, 2010, 09:53:48 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Where has this thread been all my life? I can't believe I missed it.

Ok... my thoughts :)

1. Make sure you preview this stuff in Opera (which I use as well). Some of the rendering is a bit off:
   1.a In http://www.shmax.com/test.html the title is broken up with two arrows and a big blotch of white space
   1.b In http://www.shmax.com/test2.html there is the same as 1.b, but the date preview, today and next are not neatly aligned with the calendar.

2. GUI: I'm liking what I see so far. Some comments:
  2.1 I'm sure this is still the 'advanced' view and people can simply add items to their collection without spending a few minutes to enter all of the information
  2.2 I don't 'need' shipping information, but I respect the people who do. Maybe you can have a preference whether to use it or not? I can just avoid it if you do nothing.
  2.3 Have a 'Total Paid' box that is greyed out that tallies up the paid and shipping costs. (Or if you want to get fancy, if a person clicks on the 'total paid' it will grey out the other two and allow for the total to be entered.)
  2.4 Make sure these fields can be exported when we download collections. Ensure the 'total' is shown on the export as well (so people can easily to a =sum command in excel).
  2.5 Do we know what insurance companies look for in our financial reports to insure a collection like this? I have to do the research, I am really behind on getting my collection insured. I am hoping SHMAX can help me get the financial information the insurance companies need. It would be great to tailer the fields and information to help people insure their collections. (This would also be a great 'niche' for the website).
  2.6 My vote is for the 'test2' layout.
  2.7 It would be great if pictures of the parts would popup when the mouse hovers over the name so people can easily 'see' and compare what they have with the checklist.
  2.8 I'm assuming you have 'figures' in the checklist as well as the parts? Because it says 'Parts Checklist'.
  2.9 'Customized' - I'm not sure how to take this. Obviously I don't know your full intentions but here are my thoughts.
    2.9 A Unless the 'custom' job is a straight up repaint, it isn't going to be an easy task to just pick one figure and say this is a custom of that one figure.
    2.9 B Are you going to say he now has this figure because he has a painted, modified and probably crucified version of the one listed?
    2.9 C I think if you REALLY want to implement 'custom' figures you need a new category called 'personal' (or whatever) where people can add figures to their collection that are unique and can not be seen in the browse category (but can be seen if you view their collection). If you DO want to connect a custom figure to a figure in the main library, I would suggest implementing a feature where you LINK as many library figures to a single custom figure. For istance, I created a custom called "WAJO". So I add a custom figure to my collection and fill out all of the info and maybe upload some picture. Now if I want to link him to a library item I can add "G1 Optimus" and "Animated Grimlock" and "Masterpiece Starscream" to the list of figures I used to create this monstrocity. In short, I think your directional flow of customs are backwards. Customs are made from 1 or more official products, not that official products contain a custom.

3. Any chance to implement my buy/sell feature with this new roll-out? I have a lot of figures I want to sell and I think it can easily be worked into shmax and be great. I can help you generate the architecture, layout and functionality of it if you wish.

4. A bit off topic, but related to the revisions - I've been thinking about our conversation the other day and I think it boils down to the famous conversation everyone with a decent collection quite often has - "How many figures do you have in your collection". I think the responsibility of this website is to define a structured method of saying what a figure is and what a figure isn't. If you wish to add a point system on top of that, I'm not going to object; but I think a figure count is still vital. Now for 'memorabilia' items, like statues, bobble head dolls, etc I think you should create a third category in addition to 'figure' and 'accessory', which is 'memorabilia'. One SKU can have more than one 'memorabilia' pieces. This way, you have a clear distinction between figures and these other items.

Ok... maybe some of my other thoughts should go in another forum thread :)
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=853</a>

shmax

November 08, 2010, 10:34:59 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Wajo357"
2. GUI: I'm liking what I see so far. Some comments:
  2.1 I'm sure this is still the 'advanced' view and people can simply add items to their collection without spending a few minutes to enter all of the information
Yep, no different than before, really.

2.2 I don't 'need' shipping information, but I respect the people who do. Maybe you can have a preference whether to use it or not? I can just avoid it if you do nothing.
Yep, just leave 'er alone and no touchy if you're not interested.

2.4 Make sure these fields can be exported when we download collections. Ensure the 'total' is shown on the export as well (so people can easily to a =sum command in excel).
Yes, absolutely. I have plans to overhaul the download thing as well. More on that when the time comes...

2.5 Do we know what insurance companies look for in our financial reports to insure a collection like this? I have to do the research, I am really behind on getting my collection insured. I am hoping SHMAX can help me get the financial information the insurance companies need. It would be great to tailer the fields and information to help people insure their collections. (This would also be a great 'niche' for the website).
Good question, unfortunately I have no idea. I imagine that an itemized list showing what you paid for each item is probably about all they need.

2.6 My vote is for the 'test2' layout.
I'm thinking of doing something similar to what I do for the date inputs on the advanced search page... take a look and see if ya like it.

2.7 It would be great if pictures of the parts would popup when the mouse hovers over the name so people can easily 'see' and compare what they have with the checklist.
Interesting! That might be kind of a fun feature for any part link on the site. I'll think about it...
2.8 I'm assuming you have 'figures' in the checklist as well as the parts? Because it says 'Parts Checklist'.
Yep. Parts is parts, as far as the db is concerned. In shmax terminology, we call the missiles and fists and whatnot "accessories".
2.9 'Customized' - I'm not sure how to take this. Obviously I don't know your full intentions but here are my thoughts.
    2.9 A Unless the 'custom' job is a straight up repaint, it isn't going to be an easy task to just pick one figure and say this is a custom of that one figure.
    2.9 B Are you going to say he now has this figure because he has a painted, modified and probably crucified version of the one listed?
    2.9 C I think if you REALLY want to implement 'custom' figures you need a new category called 'personal' (or whatever) where people can add figures to their collection that are unique and can not be seen in the browse category (but can be seen if you view their collection). If you DO want to connect a custom figure to a figure in the main library, I would suggest implementing a feature where you LINK as many library figures to a single custom figure. For istance, I created a custom called "WAJO". So I add a custom figure to my collection and fill out all of the info and maybe upload some picture. Now if I want to link him to a library item I can add "G1 Optimus" and "Animated Grimlock" and "Masterpiece Starscream" to the list of figures I used to create this monstrocity. In short, I think your directional flow of customs are backwards. Customs are made from 1 or more official products, not that official products contain a custom.
Egad. That's all a bit outside the scope of this pass--someone asked for a "customized" checkbox, so I threw it in.

3. Any chance to implement my buy/sell feature with this new roll-out? I have a lot of figures I want to sell and I think it can easily be worked into shmax and be great. I can help you generate the architecture, layout and functionality of it if you wish.
Not quite yet! This new collection interface may not even happen until after I finish the new site redesign (all kinds of awesome, coming soon). Doing a proper buy/sell feature will take a lot of careful planning and thought--I can't just tack it on to some other feature. And if you're serious about helping with layout, of course I'm always looking for help, but if you REALLY want to help the site you should get busy with the photos!

A bit off topic, but related to the revisions - I've been thinking about our conversation the other day and I think it boils down to the famous conversation everyone with a decent collection quite often has - "How many figures do you have in your collection". I think the responsibility of this website is to define a structured method of saying what a figure is and what a figure isn't. If you wish to add a point system on top of that, I'm not going to object; but I think a figure count is still vital. Now for 'memorabilia' items, like statues, bobble head dolls, etc I think you should create a third category in addition to 'figure' and 'accessory', which is 'memorabilia'. One SKU can have more than one 'memorabilia' pieces. This way, you have a clear distinction between figures and these other items.

Ok... maybe some of my other thoughts should go in another forum thread :)
Yes, the mods and I have had many an interesting discussion about what's a figure, what isn't, should we care when tallying, etc. A lot of this will get sorted out when I finally start implementing the long-promised "mini-trees" feature (which will allow deeply nested grouping from product variants, to gestalt figures, all the way down to figures and their accessories). Once we have a proper notion of a true "figure" record, I think we'll get to a point where we can revisit the old tally system. I do agree with you that "figure" should only be one possible classification for a toy, with others being things like "Playset", "Vehicle set", "Memorabilia", and so on. We'll get there--I've written up endless pages of plans and thoughts on the subject, and it's the final feature we'll implement before finally expanding shmax.com to *gasp* cover other toylines as well.

Go Up