Tools for mobile collectors?

Started by aurax, September 16, 2010, 02:41:32 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

aurax

September 16, 2010, 02:41:32 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I've recently joined the smartphone-weilding masses with an iPhone purchase a couple of weeks ago. It's already replaced my regular laptop for a massive number of things, but the one thing I still haven't been able to do is locate a database app that will do things we do so ably here. There are apps that do admirable jobs with books and DVDs, and there's an app tied to the atrocious database at collector-actionfigures.com. I'm just curious if anyone here has purchased something like the HandBase app or another similar tool to keep track of your TF collection on a mobile device.

shmax

September 18, 2010, 08:32:18 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Interesting, I didn't know about collector-actionfigures.com. Looks like they're already doing what I've been hoping to do here with shmax.com (expanded scope to include all collectibles). Are you interested in an app that connects to the shmax database? What would the app do? This is something that I've considered before, of course. I can imagine an app that lets you scan bar codes with the camera and instantly add items to your collection, then edit collection details, but what else (another idea I had was an app that uses the camera to automatically identify parts) ? I don't own an iPhone or have much experience with mobile apps, so I'd be interested in hearing about what you imagine such an app would do.

Tripredacus

February 18, 2011, 08:20:45 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I know someone asked about this on TFW. I didn't think to bring it up then. I am also looking into the "present" as far as being able to manage my own collection. The ability to use a phone to figure out what you have and don't have is invaluable. There are many times I am out and about and have to think "do I have this already?" and this is because I have multiple collections. You can get to a point where you just can't remember anymore. Heck I can't remember most of my TFs names, and I'm not even collecting those anymore.

Anyways, as noted, I did a little research myself. My idea is that I can detect the User Agent, and apply a different CSS. Of course my website is actually built in such a way where I would be able to do this easily, not sure how it would apply here. Here is my reference:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149391- ... detection/

shmax

February 18, 2011, 08:50:43 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Serving a different version of a website based on the browser is certainly one option. That seems to be what wikipedia does. I don't know, I've been slow to pick up on the mobile mania. I have a Galaxy S, and I love it, but I just never find myself doing anything with it. I've always got a big hairy desktop or laptop computer within reach, and I have yet to find myself in the mood to start poking around through games and apps.

But working on a dedicated app does appeal to me. It'd be a good excuse to brush up on my java, and it might bring a little much-needed energy to the site. Sometimes it feels like it's impossible to get people excited about anything; maybe a gimmick like this would do the trick.

I'm curious to know why this sort of thing would interest you when you don't collect tfs anymore...

Tripredacus

February 18, 2011, 09:11:27 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Well (I believe) I am on the verge of re-entering the collecting arena. But besides, I always felt bad about starting to help out here when you were new, but I was getting out of the collecting business. I've realised that I can't just leave the TF community because of the amount of time and effort I spent within it. And besides, I will try to help people I've known (internet or otherwise) if I can, that's just the kind of person I am.

Anyways, about serving a different version of a website. I haven't actually done any testing yet regarding load times... Reminds me of the olden days of web-design actually... But it is possible to hide or change entire sections of the normally displayed webpage to better suit display on a phone web browser. Of course, your demand is a lot different than my own personal demand, so an app may be worthwhile. With everyone seeming to do apps nowadays, there may even be an easy template out there to start with. Just make sure you don't get involved with something you can't handle. Heck I should talk haha.

Anyways, I will make an attempt to support you once again.

shmax

February 19, 2011, 03:34:38 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Thanks for the kind words, and it's good to see ya around again. You've probably noticed that the site has continued to evolve, so my apologies if the old neighborhood doesn't look the same. I'm going to consider the mobile app very carefully. I think what I need to do is a little research. Can you recommend any Droid apps that might be in the spirit of what we want to do?

Tripredacus

February 24, 2011, 12:29:07 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I will once I get one! I have a week or two before I can upgrade. I don't have a smart phone yet.  :D

PS, this topic should probably be in the Feature Requests section?  :?:

alunejones

March 31, 2011, 04:20:09 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Do you have any objections to someone else accesing your site to make an app? or to use any webservices you may have to access the site? for example using your user account to view your wishlist etc?

kahnpsu

May 17, 2011, 06:19:45 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I would recommend following a similar model to http://www.bruji.com/pocketpedia/ for the iphone.  The app got discontinued because amazon cracked down on the usage of amazon APIs to populate info but the gist is that you manage the collection external to the phone, but use the mobile version as a collection management/organization tool with full categorization and wish list capabilities.

The key in the shmax case would be exposing the collection resource information (both item profiles and user profiles) through REST services and build the iphone app to hit against those REST services and either likely cache the data locally on the phone with a sync option to update from the site.

shmax

May 17, 2011, 06:37:42 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Thanks for the tips,   Kahnspu, but the only real difficulty in creating a mobile app for shmax.com is finding the time to do it. Right now we're knee-deep in a suite of new features (shmax "2.0") and optimizations for the site, but once things quiet down a bit you can bet I'll be addressing this. That said, if anyone is interested in volunteering to work on something like this, I'm certainly listening and can provide API support as needed. Contact me privately if interested, folks.

Go Up