[RESOLVED]Price data usability problem on large sets

Started by Tripredacus, June 07, 2012, 10:31:30 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tripredacus

June 07, 2012, 10:31:30 AM Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:15:58 AM by shmax
Some users have voiced their opinion about the strange prices concerning Kre-O sets. Example, sets that sell for way more MIB than MISB. To see for yourself, consider this browse category:
http://shmax.com/database/3141?browse=0

Look at the first Optimus Prime that comes up. You see this:

Sealed: $29.72  Opened: $144.03  Loose: $45.65

But this post isn't about why the prices are like that. Let's say you want to look at the price data for this particular figure, to see for yourself that maybe there was some weird anomaly the price-o-matic picked up.

http://shmax.com/product_details/8391/optimus_prime

The first thing you notice is that it takes quite a while to load this page due to the total amount of parts. After waiting this time (for my my browser froze until everything was done) you can quickly get to the price blocks on the right, but if you want to look at the graph, its way below all those parts.

Once you get there, you can see why the MIB price is so high, as there is not enough sales data for it. I can't tell but maybe 2 or 3 yellow dots on that graph. The first thing you'll notice is that $1000 valuation on the MISB, but it doesn't make the average sealed price that high because of the larger amount of sales data.

So this bug/problem is two-fold, but primarily has to do with the page taking so long to load due to the amount of parts, and that it may freeze the browser while reading the database for all this info.

As for how to fix it, I'm not sure.

The second thing is that some users may not know how to properly read the valuation chart or graph and realise why the prices seem so wrong. Maybe for that, if say there are less than 5 sales recorded for a particular condition, there may be a disclaimer or tooltip you can hover to see that the data may not be accurate due to low amount of sales data.

engledogg

June 07, 2012, 01:24:37 PM Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:34:07 PM by engledogg
As far as the value goes, there's still some wonky eBay data (even after the fix performed the other day), so there are still going to be some anomalies (like you pointed out above).  I also notice that some of the matched auctions (on the left) don't seem to be for the Kre-O set...

Concerning records that have a TON of parts like this...perhaps have those types of records show only the figures or something as a default, with the option of a "Click here for entire contents listing" feature that would then display the contents?

Not sure if something like that is doable or not...

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Yeah, I know we have to figure something out for sets with hundreds of parts. Tough one. The good news is that I figured out what was making the appraisal data screwy. The toys have paths like "United States > KRE-O > Transformers". I won't bore you with the intricacies of the matching algorithm, but it was generating searches like "('kre-o', 'transformers') megatron". In plain English, that says "show me all auctions that include the word 'megatron', and 'kre-o' OR 'transformers'", which opens the floodgates. I've fixed the problem in this case by forcing an additive 'kre-o' onto the basic search (modify one of these records and look at the search field to see what that means), and the numbers are back to normal (and rock-solid--I didn't see any false positives).

Thanks much for the bug, guys.

Go Up