Photo Submitions

Started by Antron007, February 11, 2013, 09:19:11 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Antron007

I notice alot of times we will have a photo from BBTS or Has/Tak, HasbroToyShop being used for a product photo. I also notice that it seems to be the same couple of users and that they are mods.

Maybe I missed it but what is the policy for submitting such photos? Can any user do it as long as they are properly credited?

engledogg

February 12, 2013, 07:44:14 AM Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:59:29 AM by engledogg
Yep, all you need to do is save the photo from BBTS or Hasbro to your computer, upload it, choose Hasbro or BBTS (whichever one is appropriate), and click submit.  BBTS/Hasbro gets the "credit" for the photo, the user gets the "credit" for the submission.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Antron007

Cool, Thanks Edogg

Antron007

What about Tfwiki? Ya, Na? How would that work? Credit to tfwiki or tfwikiUser?

engledogg

February 12, 2013, 04:34:54 PM Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:36:44 PM by engledogg
Can't use Wiki photos...only stock photos from Hasbro and BBTS or our own user-submitted photos.

MIKE
engledogg

shmax

Can't use Wiki photos...only stock photos from Hasbro and BBTS or our own user-submitted photos.

MIKE
engledogg

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, we do indeed have explicit permission from BBTS to use their photos.

Antron007

February 12, 2013, 04:53:28 PM Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:36:59 PM by Antron007
The BBTS issue was my next question. I'm assuming that Hasbrotoystore.com images fall under a fair use provision.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:MicronVectorOracleWebsite.jpg

"This image © Hasbro, TakaraTomy, or both. Low resolution images are used for documentary purposes to illustrate a product or character on TFWiki.net under the fair use provision of United States copyright law. See Copyrights."

What about images like this on tf wiki? If they are HasTak official and qualify under the Fair Use Provision, can we use those and if so who does credit go to? I know we don't want pics with the Japanese texts and such. That was just for reference.

I have a tendency to archive pictures for my own personal interest. I'm sort of a digital pack rat if you will. I'd like to make use of this hobby to help this site if I can, when applicable. (Hence, all of the questions)

Also, What about pictures from the Takara/Tomy website and transformers.com? Or Retail sites like Walmart and Target .com?

engledogg

Also, whenever you do submit a BBTS/Hasbro photo, make sure to choose either BBTS or Hasbro in the drop-down picker.  The system will automatically know who submitted it, so no need to choose your name there.

MIKE
engledogg

Antron007

February 13, 2013, 10:15:53 AM Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:51:06 AM by Antron007
I didn't see that option so I put it in the comments. I'll take another peek.

[edit] I found it. [/edit]

Antron007

February 13, 2013, 10:54:15 AM Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:03:25 AM by Antron007

MIKE
engledogg

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, we do indeed have explicit permission from BBTS to use their photos.

When you say Hasbro, does that include transformers.com and what about Takara?

And what photos can we use from BBTS? For example I'll be getting some microns in the mail and they have some pics of them. I'll try and take some pics (I have some I need to work on) but unfortunately I've been better at finding pictures than I have taking them. I feel good about my next batch though. We'll see. Anyway, It'd be nice to have something. Some come clear bagged and some in bubble/capsules. But the have some assembled pics as well. Are we limited to Front Package photos?

Have you tried to secure permission from any other sources?

shmax

When you say Hasbro, does that include transformers.com and what about Takara?

Well, we don't exactly have permission to use Hasbro photos--we just sort of assume that they all fall into the category of promotional materials, and we've seen that they are not in the habit of giving people a hard time about sharing their photos around. If they complain to us, we'll take them down.

Have you tried to secure permission from any other sources?

No, not really--we only use BBTS and Hasbro photos as a last resort; they meet our photo guidelines, but only just barely, and we'd much rather have shmax members upload photos.

Antron007

I just submitted some for FOC Blaster. I keep coming close, I'm hoping I have it down now. I honestly think I may be using too much light. We'll have to wait and see if they get passed the judges table ;-)

shmax

I just submitted some for FOC Blaster. I keep coming close, I'm hoping I have it down now. I honestly think I may be using too much light. We'll have to wait and see if they get passed the judges table ;-)

Don't feel bad if it takes some time to get up to speed. I don't think anyone has ever come along and just nailed it right out of the gate. You can hit me up in IMs if you want some tips or instant feedback.

Go Up