Photo of the Day: July 4, 2009

Started by shmax, July 04, 2009, 02:30:29 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

July 04, 2009, 02:30:29 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
[wrap=left:220lzhet][/wrap:220lzhet]Let me take you behind the scenes at a pitch meeting at TakaraTomy in late 2006.
Marketing Guy: "Listen, everybody's really loving the Binaltech/Alternators toys, they're doing really well, no argument. But I think it's time we shook up the formula a bit, you know, take things to the next level."
Toy Designer:"Absolutely. We'll start in with the repaints right away."
Marketing Guy:"Well yeah, okay, but really I was thinking maybe you could try something a bit more unusual, like an animal design. Maybe Ravage. The kids will eat it up."
Toy Designer: "I dunno, won't that just wind up looking all clunky and awkward? I mean some of the bipedal robots in that line are kind of pushing it as is."
Marketing Guy: "Don't be silly! It'll be awesome, I know you can do it."

And the rest is history. Before Hellscream333 submitted this Photo of the Day, the only depiction of this toy I had seen was a stock photo that was none too flattering. It made Ravage look like a fearsome jungle cat in the same way that a shopping cart looks like a buffalo. But after looking at today's photo I'm prepared to reconsider.

Hellscream333 didn't stop there. He recently put the final touches on a complete overhaul of our stock of Alternators photos, personally re-shooting every toy in the line that he had available to him. The results are typically spectacular:
http://www.shmax.com/Database/237?brows ... t_filter=7

Note that we're still missing a few photos here and there, namely Mirage's weapon, Ricochet's weapon, Wheeljack's Instruction Booklet, and Swerve's label sheet. We're also looking for a photo depicting the right-hand steering wheel variant of Silverstreak both in the package and in robot form. So if you're an Alternators fan and you have a camera, we'd love to hear from you!

Go Up