Questions??....

Started by Ravagebeak1000, December 04, 2009, 10:20:07 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Ravagebeak1000

December 04, 2009, 10:20:07 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I am new here, but can't seem to to find a way to add specific parts to my Wishlist.  There seems to only be a box that you check that adds the entire figure, parts and all.  Can some help me with this?

Also, I was hoping that you could pull the comments area of "My Collection" to show on the My Collection spreadsheet.  For instance some figures arent listed as exclusive to a specific store.  I added the comment in my collection and was hoping that it would also show on the spreadheet.  Thanks for considering..

engledogg

December 04, 2009, 10:54:21 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I am new here, but can't seem to to find a way to add specific parts to my Wishlist. There seems to only be a box that you check that adds the entire figure, parts and all. Can some help me with this?
As far as a specific parts wishlist that will show up on this site or your dynamic signature, that's something that may be eventually coming down the road.  

But for now, underneath the Wishlist box, there should be something that says Watchlist.

By default, it should say "Nothing", but if you click that box, you can choose: any condition, AFA-graded, sealed condition, opened/loose condition, or parts (all).

By choosing parts, you'll receive an e-mail alerting you to when the items on your watchlist show up for purchase on eBay.

Also, I was hoping that you could pull the comments area of "My Collection" to show on the My Collection spreadsheet. For instance some figures arent listed as exclusive to a specific store. I added the comment in my collection and was hoping that it would also show on the spreadheet. Thanks for considering..
Regarding the downloadable collection, that's something I really don't know too much about.  Once shmax pops his head in here, he'll be able to handle that part of your question.

You mentioned some exclusive figures that aren't listed as exclusive to a specific store...which ones were those?  Taking a look at what you've added to your collection so far, I'm assuming you're talking about the K-Mart Legends set, the Warriors from Three Worlds set,  and the Walmart Black Friday exclusives.  

The Legends package is listed under North America > Revenge of the Fallen > Exclusive > KMart > Legends 4-Pack, so that one should be okay.

Both WM sets are correctly labeled as being Walmart exclusives on the package records themselves:

http://www.shmax.com/package_details/5942 (The Data War)

http://www.shmax.com/package_details/5941 (War of the Waves)

All of those records are correctly identified as exclusive and should be correct in terms of which stores they were exclusive to.

The Warriors from Three Worlds exclusive is a bit tricky as it has shown up at Rite-Aid, Walgreen's, Canadian Tire, among other stores.  For now, due to the wide exclusivity, it is best to describe it simply as "exclusive".

Hope this helps.

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Ravagebeak1000

December 04, 2009, 01:06:48 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Thanks for the response.  As far as adding specific parts it may be as simple as adding a wishlist check off box for each of the individual part entries.  Once you click into the figure at first the wishlist check box is visable.  But underneath each individual figure and the parts that make up the whole each have their own page that you can click into.  This is where the secondary "wishlist" check boxes should be located so we can add individual parts.  Then that info would have to be looked at as how it would then pull into the spreadsheet.

As for the Spreadsheet not pulling the comments section.  I understand that the way they are listed includes the stores for the most part.  But when looking at the info on the spreadsheet all it shows is "exclusive"  under the "type" column.  Not the actual store name.  So that info is never shown on the spreadsheet.  A quick fix for both issues would be if you pulled the comments section from the site to the spreadsheet so we could enter the specifc store and what parts are needed in the comments section.  Then we would have all the info needed.  Example..."Walmart exclusive, have figure, need lazer blaster and instructions sheet".  A future fix would be a downloadable wish list, also with the comments section pulled.  The downloadable spreadsheet to me is the most important thing.  Being on the go at a show/convention/flea market/yardsale, I need as much info as I can get available on my phone, to pull up quickly and efficently.  Thanx let me know your thoughts.

shmax

December 07, 2009, 12:47:55 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Hi Ravagebeak, thanks for your comments! One of these days I do plan to do another pass on the spreadsheet download--I think what I'll do is have a little form that will let you check which fields you want included (name, price paid, parts, store, etc). That shouldn't be too tough to do, but it will take time, and I have a few other things to finish up first before I get to that (including moving the site to a faster server).

I must admit it never occurred to me to let people call out specific parts for the wishlist. I'll have to think about that one, but I have a feeling that that kind of functionality might work better as a part of the collection system--maybe have some way of filtering your collection by items that are missing a part, or adding a checkbox to the spreadsheet download ("download only incomplete items").

I think your concerns about the exclusive store name would be handled by the expanded download functionality; you could simply check "exclusive store", and then that column would be output. I don't think it's something you should have to manually type into the comments, and the same goes for missing parts--I'll just make sure the info gets exported. Sound good?

Ravagebeak1000

December 07, 2009, 12:12:42 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Sounds good.  I agree a faster server is priority number 1.  I anxiously look forward to the changes you mentioned.  The primary function for me to have my collection on a database is to be able to put an up to date spreadsheet on my phone while out hunting/at a show/or even at Target.  Trust me I keep buying the same damn Transformers over and over because I can't remember what I have and what I don't have.  Also while digging through parts boxes at shows, knowing what parts I need and already have is huge for me.  I keep buying the same damn parts over and over too.  I'm sure it's nice to have a collection on a website for show.  But this functionality for the collector does not exist in any form.  You have the start on this functionality that no one else right now has by having the start of a functioning database site.  I would think wayyyy down the road once the site is set, an iphone app would be a good companion to the site.  But for now a downloadable spreadsheet is the thing.

friendship pony

October 07, 2010, 08:39:21 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I am new here. But I would def like to see an app for the android platform. Would this be possible? Then I could update from flea markets see if I have a figure at a show ect. Just wondering

shmax

October 07, 2010, 09:25:31 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Not to ask a silly question, but can't you already do that? Can't you just bring up your collection page in the web browser and see if the toy in question is there? I'm a little new to the idea of smart phones and apps, so I'd be interested in hearing about what sort of features you would expect in more detail...

friendship pony

October 08, 2010, 12:28:38 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Yeah you are able to bring it up on the browser but it is in web format made for a larger screen. if there was an app where we could upload our collection to it for faster easier viewing . Also the new android phones have what's called Google Google's where u can take a pic with ur phone and it will analize it and find it on the internet
 To use that and be able to take a pic of a figure and add it to ur collection would be amazing.

wolfe

October 08, 2010, 01:54:42 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Any chance that some of the old news can be unpinned?   Have to scroll thru the old stuff (some from 2009) to get to the threads that may have new stuff.
This is a zombie browser (text, sorry) game that i run:
http://www.envythegame.com

shmax

October 08, 2010, 10:01:17 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
You're absolutely right, of course. All my old wind-baggery has been de-stickied. Thanks for the suggestion.

Go Up