If THIS doesn't make you happy, I'm switching to Care Bears

Started by shmax, March 09, 2009, 05:00:40 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Prime Aspect

March 31, 2009, 02:53:07 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Unfortunately, the new animated GIF sig is too large in size for TFW2005.  At least mine is.  Showing up as 75K versus a 40K limit.  Any way to tweak that, or maybe turn off the "fun facts" page so I just have the 2 pages of figures?

shmax

March 31, 2009, 06:54:35 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "Prime Aspect"
Unfortunately, the new animated GIF sig is too large in size for TFW2005.  At least mine is.  Showing up as 75K versus a 40K limit.  Any way to tweak that, or maybe turn off the "fun facts" page so I just have the 2 pages of figures?
I'll see what I can do--has anyone actually complained?

Max

shmax

March 31, 2009, 08:01:37 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Okay, I've done a bit of fiddling and managed to reduce the file size on those gifs by more than half. There will still be a few extreme cases where a gif goes over 40k (ie. Engledogg's is around 60k), but the vast majority should be safe.

Max

Prime Aspect

April 12, 2009, 07:19:23 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Thanks for the change.

For the record, at TFW2005, if your sig is too large, a bot changes your sig to text telling you that your sig is too big.

shmax

April 12, 2009, 07:48:50 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Don't mention it! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to make your life a little groovier.

Quote from: "Prime Aspect"
Thanks for the change.

For the record, at TFW2005, if your sig is too large, a bot changes your sig to text telling you that your sig is too big.

Chaotic Descent

June 07, 2009, 11:00:50 PM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
I noticed you can keep track of instructions, but not box/card. I suppose you could pick "MIB", except that that option implies the condition is mint. If it's been opened and used for display, it's not mint. If it's got any wear on it but includes the packaging, it's FAR from mint, but the packaging still counts.

Also, what do you think about setting condition rating for separate parts? Ah, nevermind. There is nothing beyond "AFA,MISB,MIB,loose" for condition. I guess you would leave that for the comments.

Also, there's no option to pick a blank year for when you purchased it, so it seems to default to I guess the year it was on shelves?

shmax

June 08, 2009, 01:07:53 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
As a matter of fact, I agree with you on the "MISB/MIB" stuff. How about if I just change it to "Graded", "Sealed", "Opened", and "Loose", and leave it at that? And we don't currently have the ability to assign conditions to parts, but I did deliberately design the database layout to support this if desired. So it wouldn't be too tough to add under the hood, but I worry that the UI would get a little cluttered with dozens of little drop-downs for each part (combiner giftsets, ugh). But I'll consider this a vote for it--you're the first to bring it up.

And yes, the purchased year defaults to the year of release.

Chaotic Descent

June 11, 2009, 11:31:13 AM Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest
Quote from: "shmax"
As a matter of fact, I agree with you on the "MISB/MIB" stuff. How about if I just change it to "Graded", "Sealed", "Opened", and "Loose", and leave it at that? And we don't currently have the ability to assign conditions to parts, but I did deliberately design the database layout to support this if desired. So it wouldn't be too tough to add under the hood, but I worry that the UI would get a little cluttered with dozens of little drop-downs for each part (combiner giftsets, ugh). But I'll consider this a vote for it--you're the first to bring it up.

And yes, the purchased year defaults to the year of release.
Well that still doesn't specify whether you own the packaging or not if you own it loose. I don't know if you want to list the packaging as an item along with instructions, or make it a unique part of the product where it's only kept track of through the condition pull-down so that you replace "loose" with "loose - with packaging" and "loose - no packaging". I would guess it would make more sense to add another boolean part. ... except then you would have to have it checked and un-toggle-able when you pick anything other than "loose" for condition, so it's a bit redundant in all but ONE case. :> I suppose if you did add a boolean for "packaging" part, it would just be dependent on condition in most cases.

I wasn't really pushing for the condition of parts. I just thought of it is all. For me personally, it's probably easier to just include in the notes. I think the only person this would matter for is 1) resellers with massive inventories (pay up, guys!), or 2) museums with massive inventories. (who'd basically be using it to keep track of accessories that are inferior and need replacing)

Also, the year purchased...
I'm guessing it's referencing another uneditable variable for the year it was released. Could you add an "unknown" or blank default (month and day have blank defaults) for "year purchased", and just grey-out (be un-selectable) the years before the year of release?
I'd argue for this because currently unless you specify a month and/or day, you can't tell which figures you've specified a purchase year for, and which are just on their defaults. Although I think that's not as serious as I make it out to be. I imagine you would specify a month when you do select your own purchase year, and then there's no confusion. So, yeah. Again, it's pretty minor.

Go Up