Update 03/10/2013

Started by shmax, March 10, 2013, 04:06:47 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

shmax

March 10, 2013, 04:06:47 PM Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:47:42 AM by shmax
Hey guys, I've removed all eBay references and related functionality from shmax.com. This includes stuff like the auction appraisals, the price history charts, and even the watchlist feature (the watchlist will return once we launch the shmax store, but it won't have anything to do with eBay).

Why? Because we're finally getting around to expanding the site to other toylines. The eBay code is a huge hassle to maintain (especially for one overworked developer), the automatic scripts that talk to eBay and match auctions are very computationally expensive (especially for one overworked server), we don't have a full API license, and I want to switch focus from fighting with the eBay auction matching algorithm to nagging you folks to enter in your "price paid" data. I'm not sure what this will do to your "value" figures, but my hope is that we'll be better off in the long run using our own price data.

Hopefully this won't irritate anybody too much. If you guys come after me with the pitchforks and torches I can re-enable it and give it some more thought, but I'd really rather not.

shmax

Data update:
- rearranged the toyline tree to have "Toys" at the top, and moved "Gobots", "Rock Lords", and the like out of the Transformers subtree, Note that the country nodes will soon be vanishing from the toyline tree altogether.

tusko

Hi!
Great job on the site.  I am very impressed with your on going updates and fixes.
I don't miss the ebay auction data... its interesting information but not all that useful to me personally.
I think value is determined by what the market is willing to bare. 

That said, the only draw back to the current SHMAX-ian valuation will be condition.  I know you have completeness records and I know there is distinction for sealed, openned and loose figures.  None-the-less you may want to consider a excellent, good, fair, poor rating system for figures that have been only displayed, heavily played with or are junkers for parts.

I have a lot of fun with the listing/catalogue of figures in my collection.  That's why I'm here. Hope that helps!

shmax

None-the-less you may want to consider a excellent, good, fair, poor rating system for figures that have been only displayed, heavily played with or are junkers for parts.

That's a great point, Tusko. It's something we can support with shmax data, but never could with eBay data. I'll think it over while I work on the next round of upgrades.

Antron007

I'd like to say that I wouldn't mind that either. Maybe even go with the pre existing C9, L7, ect.. ? Just a thought on the grading, not really married to that part of the concept but a description or rating would be cool.

tusko

I like the rating system from 1 to 10, however we are on the honour system and when transitioning from a catalogue to a sales/trading venue this system must be very clear.  Especially when arbitration and disagreements on condition become a problem. 

shmax

So how do these rating scales work? Do these only apply for toys that are in the box? If you have a loose Omega Supreme with the 57 parts, do you rate each piece, or rate the whole thing overall?

tusko

I don't used them so I'm not a good person to ask.
For me if the figure is MISB its "mint"... but some people then consider the box and tape condition.
Ultimately its your site, just make the rules very clear as to what that "condition" comment means if its advertising the sale condition of someone else's figure.

engledogg

Condition is very subjective...one man's C9 is another man's C6.  Here's the "C scale" grading system for loose items (courtesy of Toycatacomb.com):

C9.5 - figure/game is in mint condition, without any visible flaws or defects. Often very expensive because it's very rare to find a figure like this.
C9.0 - figure/game is in near mint condition with very few minor flaws (barely noticeable unless you search hard).
C8.5 - figure/game has some very minor areas of wear and may have small flaws.
C8.0 - figure/game has minor paint/sticker wear, may have minor stains, discoloration, and stress marks but no damage.
C7.5 - figure/game has some play, paint/sticker wear and may have some stains, discoloration and stress marks.
C7.0 - figure/game has play wear, moderate paint/sticker wear and may have moderate stains, discoloration, and stress marks. Figure is still collection worthy up to this point.
C6.5 - figure/game has more play and paint/sticker wear, and may have stains, discoloration, and stress marks. Figure may have a broken part.
C6.0 - figure/game has heavy play wear, paint/sticker wear and may have heavy stains, discoloration, and stress marks. Figure may have one or more broken/repaired parts.
C5.5 - figure/game has heavy wear damage, repairs and stains/discoloration.
C5.0 - figure/game has many flaws, wear, tears, stains/discoloration and may be broken.
C4.5 - figure/game has major flaws, and play wear (tears, stains/discoloration) and may be broken.
C4.0 - figure/game shows severe play wear, damage and may be used for parts.
C3.5 - figure/game has many usable parts and major damage.
C3.0 - figure/game that has some usable parts and major damage.
C2.5 - figure/game that has few usable parts and major damage.
C2.0 - figure/game has very few useable parts and severe damage.
C1.5 - figure/game is in very poor condition.
C1.0 - figure/game cannot be salvaged for parts. Throw these out for give them away.

Generally, for something Omega Supreme, or any other figure really, you grade it on the whole, pointing out any glaring differences on the parts if need be.

Assessing the condition of something is quite tricky...

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

shmax

Ah, I see, thanks, Ed. So if a toy is missing parts, it sort of loses overall points and drives the grade down. That's a relief, because that means we don't have to clutter up the part checklist UI with a lot of condition pickers. Maybe we could do some limited automatic assessment; for example, if someone owns an Omega Supreme and has indicated (via the parts checklist) that it is missing more than half the parts, we don't allow the user to select a condition above C4.0. Innerestin'.

engledogg

I'm not quite sure what they're considering "parts"...do they mean parts that can be unscrewed from a toy's body, like a fist or a leg, or do they mean the accessories that comes with a toy?

MIKE
engledogg
Dumba$$ that used to buy everything...not so much anymore.

Windrazor7

Everything looks and sounds good to me. The only thing im curious about is how you'll distinguish what version/country a toy is from if the country nodes are gone all together?
Mr. GottaHaveit
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=2029" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=2029</a>

shmax

Everything looks and sounds good to me. The only thing im curious about is how you'll distinguish what version/country a toy is from if the country nodes are gone all together?

The country nodes will be replaced by a completely separate "Country of release" selector below the usual toyline browser. So you'll be able to choose a toyline (or not) AND choose a country of release (or not). Not sure exactly how I'm going to convey the difference at the product summary level, but if nothing else you'll have the little release info box that's already there. Another possibility might be to tack the country info onto the breadcrumbs, so you might see something like Cybertron > Deluxe > CA/US

Windrazor7

Ok, that makes a lot more sense than what I was imagining. Thanks for the clarification.
Mr. GottaHaveit
<a href="http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=2029" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.shmax.com/img/sigs/signature.swf?user_id=2029</a>

tusko

That sounds great!
I'd love to select to have all my G1s together in a visual list, as shmax.com so awesomely offers.  So I mean the US stuff and Canadian stuff all lumped together!
Fantastico!!

Go Up